Help!

Daniellemo

Working on a live edge table I got.  It's HUGE. No idea what kind of wood it is.  Wood top is very thick and in REALLY image.jpegbad condition.  Have stripped it twice using a gel stripper, and started sanding it out.  

Had to remove a few of the knots because they were rotten all the way through, so now the table has a few holes in it.  That's all ok, I like the raw look as it suits the table.  

My concern is this. I can't seem to remove all the dark stain, so the table is all blotchy.  

I plan on staining it again to a dark brown, so do I need to keep going and remove more stain? Or can I just condition the wood and stain it dark on top of what is left.  

Please see the pics I have included.  

Pretty sure the table had been left outside for a while.  

We are also trying to remove whatever filler is in it.  

Thanks for any help/suggestions! 

This is my first big refinishing project.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks like a soft wood slab, pine/spruce/fir. There's plenty of thickness, so go at it with a belt sander & very coarse grit belts. Just be really careful not to create gouges & use a straight edge to keep from getting it unflat.

But it's going to look terrible if you stain it. I you insist on darkening it then use a tinted finish.

• Like 1

Good options listed above.  The "filler" that you're seeing looks to me like epoxy that was used to stabilize the cracks.  That's a common accepted practice.  Apply a little water to it and see if it's clear.  If it's epoxy, it will take a finish just fine but, won't take the stain.  This is also a good opting to stabilize the knots or fill the knot holes if you wish.  Just tape off the under side and don't fill them all at once.  You will get bubbles but, a heat gun or quick pass with a torch will pop the bubbles.

If you're dead set on darkening it, I'd suggest spraying a dye rather than brushing a stain.  Less chance of blotching that way. 

hi all  

So I need to keep sanding to get rid of the dark stain is what you are all saying, even though I plan on staining it dark brown. 

Crap.  Guess that means a lot more work for me! Oh well.  It is going to be stunning when I am done! 

Thanks for all the advice.  

:)

12 minutes ago, Daniellemo said:

hi all  

So I need to keep sanding to get rid of the dark stain is what you are all saying, even though I plan on staining it dark brown. 

Crap.  Guess that means a lot more work for me! Oh well.  It is going to be stunning when I am done! 

Thanks for all the advice.  

:)

If the top is removable, you might also check a local cabinet shop and see if they can run it thru their drum sander for you.

If that is indeed pine, an iron acetate wash can produce a very even, rich brown color, that extends below the surface. However, chemically coloring the wood this way can have some unexpected results, mostly variations in tint from board to board. This may be distracting in a slab made of multiple boards glued together, which can take on slightly different shades.

How as you going to deal with the stain on the live edge?  I don't see a way to remove that without ruining the edge.  

So since your going stain/dye it a dark brown, I am going to say the "P" word.  Why not paint it brown or black and then spray it with a high gloss lacquer?  Might look pretty cool. Maybe. 

Some old growth types of pine can be quite hard especially after drying/curing/hardening for many years. It does look like it was left outside or in a leaky barn from looking at the deteriorating area. Dye may not color the clear filler  I see. You can tint epoxy to fill the knot holes, cracks and rotten areas. Then sand flush before dye and finishing.

General Finishes makes water based dyes and stains that can be hand applied.  You can dye and then add a stain over it to get a darker richer overall color.

If possible flip the top over and sand an area to test dyes, stains and finishes before you tackle the good side. Practice will improve your results.

• Like 1