Another bench

Mcdavid

Just starting with woodworking. Blessed with a whole workshop worth of tools from my father who's body unfortunately will not allow him to continue working. One of the few things not included though was a workbench. I have been doing a ton of studying over the past few months and decided on a roubo style bench made from kiln dried home center lumber. I know it sucks but all I can afford with a wife, a two year old and baby #2 due any day. 

Using all 2x6's and taking time to kill them down to 9/8 thick. All of work and a ton of dust to already fill a bag in my dust collector.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks! Yeah I have loads of things on my list: side tables, small dresser, family projects, hand tool cabinet, lumber rack, etc. I definitely have had information overload with the four horsemen (Marc, Matt, Shannon, New Matt) so I have been trying to edit my own list and have realistic expectations.

I am planning on doing the top glue up today and I noticed on a few bench builds folks would connect all the top pieces with a carriage bolt or something of that fashion. Is that necessary when I have 5 in and 5 1/2 ft of long grain glue surface on each board?

44 minutes ago, Mcdavid said:

I am planning on doing the top glue up today and I noticed on a few bench builds folks would connect all the top pieces with a carriage bolt or something of that fashion. Is that necessary when I have 5 in and 5 1/2 ft of long grain glue surface on each board?

The dominos or biscuits are primarily used for alignment.  The long grain glue joint is plenty strong.

• Like 2

Yeah you don't need any bolts.  You might find that your top moves quite a bit for the first couple years because you're using box store lumber, and you might have to flatten it more often because of that, but it shouldn't delaminate as long as you mill the boards properly, glue and clamp properly, and do the glue up the same day you do the milling...if you let those boards sit around for a few days, they're gonna move again because they weren't dried the way real hardwood is.

Either way...no bolts.  That's something the old-timers did because they had crappy glue-ups with poorly milled material.  They're superfluous if you do things the right way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I am still in the process of laminating the top. Doing it sets of 3 due to limited clamps and glue time (Arizona heat). Also in between glue ups I am rough flattening each set just to save some work on the back end. Not caring too much about the whole length being flat mostly just the width trying to level all 3 edges. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Looking good man. Are you working from a set of plans? 

Thanks! Not working from a particular plan. Just been using various pictures online and videos from Shannon and Marc to build a sketch up. I will post later today when I get back to my computer. 

Right now I am planning out the steps after the top glue up. Right now the ends aren't square to each otherimage.jpegso now I'm thinking of using the chop saw to square each set on one side. I left plenty of length to accommodate for this. Then using a circular saw to square the whole bench on the same side.

Next are the legs. Already milled most of the way. Left a few passes to accommodate for movement. Plan on each leg being a set of 3 with a mortise in the middle. The outside boards will be the whole height of the bench (probably a little longer then will sneak up after I connect them to the top) Both longer boards will be tenons with the front one being a sliding dovetail. 

I am leaving the top 3 boards short on both sides which will have the mortises for the legs. This allows me to ensure their thickness is the same as the legs and when I cuts the boards to match the leg tenons it should fit pretty snug. 

All that being said, still gluing up. 

Watched Barron's video and this is just about what I will thinking outside of the wedges but they aren't a bad idea.

Gluing up the legs right now and practicing the dovetail on a leg set that I accidentally glued up before doing its final dimension milling. I'm using a husky cross cut hand saw for this. Isn't working great but I am cleaning it up with a chisel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Mcdavid said:

I was also wondering if draw boarding the legs with 2-3 dowels would be a good idea for tightness and to prevent racking.

Yep..  You could probably get away without them with that design but, and ounce of prevention / pound of cure ;)

• Like 1

Another update:

Done with one side of the mortises. Nice that each tenon can custom fit each mortise. The square tenons are a bit more than a slip fit and the dovetail is a bit loose. The draw "boring" (is it too soon to be considered an inside joke?) should tighten the dovetail or at least limit the effects of the gaps. Currently gluing up the other side. Thought I goofed by not thicknessing the leg boards and the top boards at the same time to enough congruent thickness. Luckily the leg boards were thinner already so I was able to sneak up on the fit using the power planet. image.jpegon the bright side, I have gotten some new friends to help me out in the shop.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg