Another bench

Mcdavid

Yeah not the best experience. The tarantulas weren't that bad. Only 1 surprised me, it was under a pile of wood shavings from my hand plane. (+1 to power tools). The Camel Spider though was the worst. They run really fast and are known to be aggressive. I found by being able to hear it run across the same pile of shavings. This was last night before the hidden tarantula. Not uncommon in AZ to see these guys, but all 4 in a span of 24 hours... Almost enough to keep me out of the shop, or at least discourage open toed sandals.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Thats a joke right? Those spiders aren't real? Please tell me those things aren't real !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Add that to the advantages of having a good tight border! Another reason we have guns.

Yeah not the best experience. The tarantulas weren't that bad. Only 1 surprised me, it was under a pile of wood shavings from my hand plane. (+1 to power tools). The Camel Spider though was the worst. They run really fast and are known to be aggressive. I found by being able to hear it run across the same pile of shavings. This was last night before the hidden tarantula. Not uncommon in AZ to see these guys, but all 4 in a span of 24 hours... Almost enough to keep me out of the shop, or at least discourage open toed sandals.

And here I am thinking my daddy- longlegs problem is bad !!

• Like 2

Taken some time to do some extermination but now back at it. 

All 4 legs are laminated, dovetails cuts, both top pieces housing the mortises are glued up with one doing final curing. 

Up next final milling of the top sets including the mortises pieces. Then drill the draw boring holes in the mortises pieces and legs. Mill and laminate the long and short stretchers (didn't bother with same thickness with these to try my hand at hand cutting mortises. I have a bench top mortising machine if it goes horribly wrong) A lot to do still but I am seeing it all come together.image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Hope you don't get murdered by one of those spiders before you're done!

With the size of those things I was more concerned with them hauling of some of the lumber he needs for his bench.

• Like 2

More progress: cleaned up the glue up on the mortise top. Working on the fit of the legs. They are tight... A bit too tight, I had to use some extreme force to get them out. They have gaps which makes it look loose. I think I need to shave some off the tenons. Been using a rasp to sneak on the fit because I don't have a shoulder plane. It works but it does take a while. Excited to get this bench closer to complete. Especially since we almost had our second child tonight! We are to date but I would like to get this bench done before.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 7/27/2016 at 5:47 PM, shaneymack said:

Thats a joke right? Those spiders aren't real? Please tell me those things aren't real !!

Where do you live Shaneymack?  With the abuse we have given the Grizzly bear I am vying for the tarantula to become the new symbol of California . . . well SoCal anyway.  As we are approaching mating season in a few months the little (and not so little) buggers will be out en masse.

Where do you live Shaneymack?  With the abuse we have given the Grizzly bear I am vying for the tarantula to become the new symbol of California . . . well SoCal anyway.  As we are approaching mating season in a few months the little (and not so little) buggers will be out en masse.

[/img]

I live 20 mins south of Montreal, Qc. Nothing dangerous around here except the cold and the politics...

Got the top sets to congruent thickness and now the final lamination steps are under way. Due to lack of space, clamps, and glue open time I am doing this glue up in two sets. This AZ heat really requires subsets in the glue up phase. image.jpeg

I have been wanting to do as much of this bench by hand as possible, so I bought a brace and a few bits to bore the dog holes and to do the draw boring. Brace was in a great condition compared to the bits. It is hard to come across antique tools out here so when you see them you need to get them, almost whatever condition. Luckily, not too many vendors realize what they have so they charge reasonable prices. $10 for the brace and bits together. Didn't even negotiate. image.jpegimage.jpeg

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Be careful about fitting with the rasp. It can leave torn fibers that jam the joint when you test fit, making you think it is tighter than it really is. Try to scrape it smooth before fitting, if you can.

Thanks for the advice! Would sand paper work for this. I have a card scraper but too busy to learn how to put the hook on and use it.

8 minutes ago, Mcdavid said:

I see a lot, if not all roubo benches have some kinda of end cap. What is the purpose and do I NEED one?

The bench crafted design roubo has a end cap for attaching the tail vise. If your not using one,  then no you don't need one. 

• Like 1

Got the top sets to congruent thickness and now the final lamination steps are under way. Due to lack of space, clamps, and glue open time I am doing this glue up in two sets. This AZ heat really requires subsets in the glue up phase. image.jpeg

I have been wanting to do as much of this bench by hand as possible, so I bought a brace and a few bits to bore the dog holes and to do the draw boring. Brace was in a great condition compared to the bits. It is hard to come across antique tools out here so when you see them you need to get them, almost whatever condition. Luckily, not too many vendors realize what they have so they charge reasonable prices. $10 for the brace and bits together. Didn't even negotiate. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks for the advice! Would sand paper work for this. I have a card scraper but too busy to learn how to put the hook on and use it.

Maybe use a flat sanding block, so you don't round any edges by accident.

A bit more progress: 85% flattened but not checked for twist. The bottom is rough flattened and checked for twist. Didn't want to spend too much time on the bottom and get it flat enough for joinery and if I decide to put any vise on the bench (considering a separate moxon vise, but this is for much later). image.jpeg

I am having the peg two of my legs. The lamination wasn't as tight as I would like. I believe they will still be strong but I want to ensure it won't delaminate.

image.jpeg

The only problem: My 3/4 pegs from Depot are a smichin too small for the hole I bore with my 3/4 auger bit. Is this normal? Maybe I'm not keeping my brace 90 for the whole bore. I tried it on 1 leg and had to wedge the peg to make it tight. 

image.jpeg

I have a small bit, not sure what size but it is slightly bent. Not sure what to do for now. But I will move on to some other part for now till a solution is found.

4 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Cover it up, depending on your preferred gauge.

image.jpg

Haha! That's pretty clever

On July 30, 2016 at 8:37 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Holy cow, that is a thick slab! Must be pushing what, maybe 325 lb by itself?

Wish I knew how heavy it is. Gonna lighten up a little I guess when flattened. How much does a wood shaven weigh?

7 hours ago, Mcdavid said:

Haha! That's pretty clever

Wish I knew how heavy it is. Gonna lighten up a little I guess when flattened. How much does a wood shaven weigh?

I think you may be a little late on the weight part..On the good side your bench will stay where you put it..Nice solid bench you will have.

• Like 1