Another bench

Mcdavid

Alright, I got a few hours of shop time. Had to forego my own nap time while my girls slept but it was well worth it. 

All leg tenons fit well, still a bit tight but the humidity is up right now, not that there is much in AZ. I drilled the dowel holes for the draw boring. Cut and gluing up the long and short supports. It's coming together!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The number of solutions are many. Rockler makes a set of four casters that all elevate and then lower and can even disconnect from quick disconnects in case you don't want them sticking out. There's also a myriad of shop made solutions online. I just did a search for " shop made mobile workbench solutions" and came up with several good looking ideas. This one is interesting but looks a little over built and with inadequately small casters. Certainly easy enough to modify for your situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright got the legs on, supports on, everything trimmed on the base. Need to flip it over and trim the sides and flatten the top.

I am thinking of vises now. Already have plans to build a Moxon vise using cheap home center hardware. But I want a bench vise or a couple of them. 

Looking at very cheap Irwin 6 1/2 in bench vises for $20 a piece. This will give my one for the face and end. Or looking at Shop Fox front vise for $60 but I only get 1. Any advice for a $60 budget?

I use a "vise" made from 2x8 lumber and a couple of pipe clamps. Mine is across the end of the bench. Holds great, and can be "racked" to conform to non-square pieces. I have about 20" between the pipes, and depth is only limited to the length of pipe you chose. Certainly not as fast or smooth as Benchcrafted hardware, but does the job and stays below your budget.

• Like 1

It is finally upright and starting to really feel like a bench. I need to clean the shop floor a bit to make space for it in its new spot, then flatten, drill dog holes, finish and add vises. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I use a "vise" made from 2x8 lumber and a couple of pipe clamps. Mine is across the end of the bench. Holds great, and can be "racked" to conform to non-square pieces. I have about 20" between the pipes, and depth is only limited to the length of pipe you chose. Certainly not as fast or smooth as Benchcrafted hardware, but does the job and stays below your budget.

Is this like Jay Bates' moxon? I like the idea of using pipe clamps but all of mine are pretty rusted over and would require some deep cleaning. Not unreasonable but inconvenient. Do you have a picture of your vise?

Mine is very much like Jay's, except that the movable jaw is attached to the clamp heads, and I put a hinged lever under the bench to open both clamps at once. One of the mags posted an article with such a vice, but added cables & pulleys to open the clamps using a foot pedal. I'll take a snapshot for you later.