Custom Cherry Aquarium Stand

JMAwoodworks

It looks fantastic! I have a local friend who maintains high-end aquariums for a living. He's asked me several times to design and build cabinets for his customers. So far, I've always turned him down. I have no idea how to engineer for a 700-1,000 lb static load with $20,000+ of live animals inside of it. All I need is for one cabinet to fail and flood some multi-million dollar home, ending with me being sued into oblivion. What kind of engineering/math do you do to check the designs?

-E

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 2:15 PM, wdwerker said:

Nice looking stand ! Did you line it with white laminate ? 

I had a very nice aquarium stand job and the clients aquarium cleaning guy let salt and water spills start ruining the finish in areas. Have you revisited some of your earlier jobs to see how they are holding up ?

If you don't keep on top of salt creep it'll wreck virtually any finish - even if you tarred the inside!

I used to have a marine aquarium and it's a bit of a battle - some of the guys on ultimatereef  would build plastic trays into the base of their cabinets to catch any spills but you still have to get rid of encrusted salt. One of the biggest builds I followed was this http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?248790-John-amp-Cams-Bali-Reef - they built a building around the tank - no woodwork involved though!