Narex Chisel clear coat

Chet

I have a set on new Narex chisels.  One has the the normal oily protectant that is normally on them when shipped but the others have some kind of clear coat material.  It is on thick enough as to make the chisel feel dull to the touch.  Does any one have any idea as to how to remove this so that I can sharpen the chisel.   I would think that it would not be a good idea to just start sharping it on my stone,  I would feel that what ever this is would get in to the grit of the stone.

Any of you brainy woodworkers have any ideas.

Stanley's Sweetheart chisels ship with some sort of lacquer coating which wears away easily enough on a diamond stone, and my stones seem fine afterward. I've got the whole set and have lapped and sharpened all of them without noticeable problems on the sharpening stones.

39 minutes ago, Chet K said:

I have a set on new Narex chisels.  One has the the normal oily protectant that is normally on them when shipped but the others have some kind of clear coat material.  It is on thick enough as to make the chisel feel dull to the touch.  Does any one have any idea as to how to remove this so that I can sharpen the chisel.   I would think that it would not be a good idea to just start sharping it on my stone,  I would feel that what ever this is would get in to the grit of the stone.

Any of you brainy woodworkers have any ideas.

I got some Narex chisels with the same coating. I used some acetone.

• Like 1

I am not worried about the size markings on the chisels.  You usually choose the chisel to do work on a predetermined measurement not the other way around.  I did do something I learned from Marc.  I went with the metric chisels with each size, for the most part, being just a bit smaller then the imperial equivalent.