pretty sure i screwed up

ghost

so i am trying to re-finish a chest (hope? blanket?) which is challenged on its condition. it looks like it may have fallen off the moving truck a couple of times in the last 35+ years. i have dealt with making it structurally sound, and started to try and re-do the finish. i sanded down the the top (after cleaning the whole chest with a water dampened rag to get 3 decades of gunk off, and using a card scraper to get what was left of the original finish off the top. which was in really bad shape), and felt that shellac would be the thing to put an amber color back in it, which would be close in color to the carcass which is not as "distressed" as the top. This is where i screwed up. Bought more canned shellac and thinned it down to about a 1.5 lb cut. wiped on 4-5 thin coats. all is well (i think) - it looks okay. My original plan was to top coat it with ARS, and realized i used non de-waxed shellac - not "seal coat". ERRRRR!!! (yes, i am a idiot) - went in store for "shellac" - bought the can i always get, because i usually just wax after the shellac, (used on pieces that don't take much, if any, wear/tear.) it will be re-purposed as a coffee table in a sun room so the top will take a fair amount of abuse - cold drinks, etc... 

so my question is - can i put ARS on top of what i already applied? or am i going to have an adhesion issue? or some other kind of problem? anything else i can do at this point?

8 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Why not rock on with Zinsser and use full strength from the can and skip the ARS? If that looks good and matches the remainder of the piece. The Zinsser is about a 3# cut and will give you nice protection for a blanket chest. 

-Ace-

it is going to be used as a coffee table "thingy". so i was looking for a bit more protection from cold beers, stuff being slid across it, etc.. otherwise i would go with your suggestion and some paste wax on it and call it a day. just don't want to have to deal with scratches, water rings, and so on, if i can. thanks though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ghost said:

thank you sir!

not a build, more of a reclamation project, but that is okay. wife won't discard it due to sentimental reasons, so i got do what i can to keep letting her let me sleep in the same bed! :D

That makes you no different than any woodworker here... happy wife.. makes a good life  ........in the shop.

• Like 1

RichardA - i wondered if anyone would catch that!

one of the feet was broken off and busted into 4-5 pieces, the other 3 all had broken pieces and were disintegrating from getting wet from a laundry room flood a while back. i did not think i could replicate the big "ogee" look very well, and really didn't like the look much anyway. then i thought being able to push it around would be good, so i looked for casters. went with "corner casters". (on sale when i bought them, i think around $13 for 4. which is all i spent on this. everything else i had)

Corner Caster 4pc

added a couple of scrap pieces on each corner and recessed them back under the chest so the wheels wouldn't be as obvious. hit the casters with a scotch brite pad and rattle can black, which makes them less noticeable. i kind of like it without the feet.

if pressed about it - "i was trying to make look like it was floating in air"! Lol

thanks all for the compliments!

• Like 2