Stocking My Shop With Tools

freedhardwoods

Nothing fancy here. Just showing the tools I'm going to use as they come into the shop.

I picked up my Frankensaw Saturday and started checking things and seeing how it will go together. A few things needed to be tightened and the motor bracket slot needs to be tweaked a little. The fence rail goes out to over 9 feet to the right of the blade. I will probably cut that off a little. They had a sheet metal catch pan screwed to the bottom of the saw. It looks like that's where they had the dust collector hooked up. More later.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Good deal on the saw!

This is a side question about long rails. It ties into people using tube steel from yards for VSCT retrofits too. At what point does the accuracy of the saw suffer from fence rails that are not straight? Over the 120" he has, surely the rail is out of straight by 1/16-1/8"+? A 1/8" bow towards the saw or away from the saw would horribly misalign the fence to the blade, right? Has me wondering what tolerances manufacturers produce their rails and if it even matters? 

I work at a plant that manufactures the "angle iron" used for things like fence rail supports. While we don't make the tube, I'm sure the tolerances are similar. We produces bars within a few thou of dead straight over 20 to 60 feet. Starting out that straight, it takes some work to get a fence rail to bow 1/16" over 10 feet.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2017 at 11:46 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I work at a plant that manufactures the "angle iron" used for things like fence rail supports. While we don't make the tube, I'm sure the tolerances are similar. We produces bars within a few thou of dead straight over 20 to 60 feet. Starting out that straight, it takes some work to get a fence rail to bow 1/16" over 10 feet.

Great post. I really did not know what to expect straight from the manufacturer. I dont know the process that well, but really a few thous over such a span? I paid an arm and a leg for a few thous over 4', let alone 20 or 60! For construction purposes, 1/16" over 10 feet sounded perfectly acceptable. Anyways, you answered the question, turns out the rails really are pretty straight and true.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get my saw up and running today. I put it in place as well as my homemade router table. Next, II'll get my dust collection system in place.

This is all a very crude setup and most of you probably have a better setup. I have to start somewhere and don't want to spend any more than I have to until I see if I'm getting some orders.

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chet K said:

You going to leave the left hand rail on the saw that long?

I'm not going to cut it for the moment. It is in the way, but since I don't know what my best setup will be, I want to start making some cabinets before I do anything that would be hard to undo.

2 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Curious about that rail too. Is that a right-tilt saw?

It is a right tilt. The original setup for that rail had a Powermatic saw at the far left with this Grizzly bolted where it is.

Once I start getting orders, I will be upgrading a lot of things rather quickly, including this saw

I bet that stuff's not light either? Looking good man! You mentioned in another thread about going in with your son as a partner. Do you/did you, formerly work for someone in the cabinet business or have you been your own independent shop? Don't mean to get personal and/or hj your thread. Just wondering. 

The 6" is kind of heavy. I've never built cabinets before.

The first time I was in business, I dried lumber and sold it rough and planed. I occasionally hired part-time help.

The second time, I sold dried lumber, random length drawer box material, and flooring. I had a full-time employee that did most of the shop work. I would park my truck and help every time I bought a load of lumber from the sawmill.

I've never built cabinets or done real woodworking before. I started hauling/helping cabinet installers over a year ago and decided to build cabinets.

Until now, I haven't had any partners or co-owners in any business I've had.

• Like 1