Die Grinders

Eric.

I'll be doing the sculpted version of this table since I don't have a lathe.  I have a pneumatic die grinder, but my compressor has issues keeping up, it's a bit underpowered, and man I'm so sick of listening to that compressor scream at me.  So I need an electric one.

I didn't realize they were so expensive...you can get a pretty good angle grinder for about 75 bucks.  The cheapest die grinder I could find that isn't an obvious piece of crap is this Makita for $107:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-GD0601-4-Inch-Die-Grinder/dp/B001ASC73E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366574385&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+die+grinder

But it looks HUGE.  I'd like something way smaller to do more detailed carving work...but still not spend a fortune.

There's also this one that has more power and variable speed...can't really tell if it's smaller...$215

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-GD0800C-4-Inch-Die-Grinder/dp/B000056NOU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366574653&sr=8-2&keywords=makita+die+grinder

Anyone have any advice on a decent, smaller grinder that doesn't break the bank?  I went into my search thinking I'd be spending less than $100.  Guess I could push my budget to around $200 if I had to.  But I won't like it.

I probably should have put this in the power tool forum...

I would take a look at the cheapos at Harbor Freight. I have several of their air drills and for occsisional use they do fine. I have run them for 4 to 6 hours at a time using flap sanders on planer ripples on moldings. I run untill the pressure drops below 60 then do something else until the compressor shuts off.

As to electric ones I have no idea.

Eric,

I don't have a lathe either but considered buying one. After I started looking at the cost of a lathe and tools, the $100 die grinder seems like a good deal  :) . Not sure how much I would use either once this project is complete, I guess future guild projects could require the use of a lathe.

I have a 4 or 4.25" from Menards.  Their house brand.  Works just fine.

Are you talking angle grinder or die grinder?  I went up there today and nary a die grinder to be found...it's a new store though so maybe they just haven't stocked them yet.  So I cruised up to Harbor Freight, held my nose and bought their piece of garbage for 50 bucks.  If it spins a burr it'll be good enough...we shall see.  If it starts smoking in 15 minutes I won't be surprised.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but could a dremel be used as a die grinder?  I had never heard of a die grinder before watching Marc's trestle table videos, and it sure looks a lot like a dremel and seems to have the same motor speed.  Not sure about the level of torque on a die grinder though.

Not sure about the level of torque on a die grinder though.

There's your big difference.  And I'm not positive, but pretty sure, that Dremels can only accept 1/8" shanks.  Most of the bigger carving burrs have 1/4" shanks.  The Dremel would work for small stuff, but if you're wanting to hog off a bunch of material, it'll be insufficient.

There's your big difference.  And I'm not positive, but pretty sure, that Dremels can only accept 1/8" shanks.  Most of the bigger carving burrs have 1/4" shanks.  The Dremel would work for small stuff, but if you're wanting to hog off a bunch of material, it'll be insufficient.

Cool, that's what I thought.  Good point about the collet too - I hadn't thought about that.  Guess I'll be plunking down a couple hundy for the die grinder.

Cool, that's what I thought.  Good point about the collet too - I hadn't thought about that.  Guess I'll be plunking down a couple hundy for the die grinder.

Not so fast...I used that Chicago Electric piece of garbage last night to sharpen some mower blades.  It runs and works great, actually.  Used it off and on for about 45 minutes, never got close to bogging down and barely got warm.  For 50 beans you may wanna consider it.  How often will you use a die grinder anyway, and for what tasks that may push its limits?  I think for my limited use, this one will be fine.  If you're a metalworker and plan on using it every day, maybe not.

And P.S...I hate cheap tools.  But in some cases, IMO, it's just stupid to buy more than is really needed.  I think this is one of those cases.  Time will tell...you never know when a piece of junk is really a champ that you just can't kill, no matter how hard you try.

• Like 1

Not so fast...I used that Chicago Electric piece of garbage last night to sharpen some mower blades.  It runs and works great, actually.  Used it off and on for about 45 minutes, never got close to bogging down and barely got warm.  For 50 beans you may wanna consider it.  How often will you use a die grinder anyway, and for what tasks that may push its limits?  I think for my limited use, this one will be fine.  If you're a metalworker and plan on using it every day, maybe not.

And P.S...I hate cheap tools.  But in some cases, IMO, it's just stupid to buy more than is really needed.  I think this is one of those cases.  Time will tell...you never know when a piece of junk is really a champ that you just can't kill, no matter how hard you try.

That's great to hear.  I'll grab the harbor freight version.  Like you said, how often am I gonna use it?  I actually have the harbor freight dust collector, which has worked like a champ for me.

This is a little off the die grinder topic, but if I build I'll probably look into a jig that will let me use a router to make the column. To cut the sliding dovetails in the base of the column will already require a similar jig, so I was just going to add a way to rotate the column while the router is running to get a home brew version of a legacy mill.

This is a little off the die grinder topic, but if I build I'll probably look into a jig that will let me use a router to make the column. To cut the sliding dovetails in the base of the column will already require a similar jig, so I was just going to add a way to rotate the column while the router is running to get a home brew version of a legacy mill.

Aaron - if you do go this route, please post your jig as this was the way I was considering tackling the project.

Aaron - if you do go this route, please post your jig as this was the way I was considering tackling the project.

Will do. Should be possibly to rig up a crank, and as long as the blank is centered in the jig you could just nibble away at it.

Will do. Should be possibly to rig up a crank, and as long as the blank is centered in the jig you could just nibble away at it.

The attached is described in great detail of Hylton's book: Router Magic

http://www.amazon.com/Router-Magic-Fixtures-Unleash-Potential/dp/0762101857/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368018438&sr=1-7&keywords=hylton+bill

post-8-0-89059300-1368018360_thumb.jpg

Vic, I have that book somewhere in a box.  I can't find anything after our recent move, but I'm sure it will turn up.  If I recall correctly, that jig uses a bunch of standard bicycle parts and ends up being pretty whiz-bang.  Thanks for the reminder!

Looks like a giant version of the Craftsman router crafter. It had cables that moved the router along as the part was spun with a crank, not easy or fun to use! I bet bike chains wouldn't slip as much. I want to see whatever you come up with, please post pictures!

Wood working online has demonstrated a router turning technique. I cannot source the podcast via iTunes on my mobile right now but I can offer a brief description. The router rode contoured rails like the box in the picture above. They left a half inch tenon on either end to hang the blank and then chucked a drill onto a tenon to spin the blank. They needed two people to demonstrate but I think a cradle for the drill would not be terribly difficult. I will try to source the podcast when I can catch network access other than cellular.

Vic, I have that book somewhere in a box.  I can't find anything after our recent move, but I'm sure it will turn up.  If I recall correctly, that jig uses a bunch of standard bicycle parts and ends up being pretty whiz-bang.  Thanks for the reminder!

Correct!  Very cool!  I'll probably make one someday.  Not high on my list, though.  Congrats on the new place!  I hadn't heard.  I'm SO out of the loop!