WoodTalk Forum Is a happy place

Woodtalk is the first forum I have ever made contributions to, and it's been fun. I know I've learned stuff and met good people. I decided to view a UK offering. Wow, we seem quite angry when compared to you guys, the following post illustrates my point. I will keep checking in on the UK offering but it does not feel as happy as Woodtalk. Thanks to everyone to making this forum feel constructive, accepting and helpful  :)

Well, maybe woodworkers in the UK are just more passionate about chisels...  Watching all of David's DVDs -- I know he has a passion for hand tools...

Now if you want some fireworks on this side of the Atlantic, why don't you start a thread on say PVC ductwork, Bill Pentz, SawStop or Steve Gass and see what you get...   :)

Yeah, H3 is right...it's not that Brits are rude and Americans are polite...the vast majority of forums here are disasters as well.  Marc has just made it clear from the get-go that trolls are not allowed and the two pitfall subjects are completely off limits.  The "no jerks" policy seems to be largely followed, and I'm assuming it has mostly to do with respect for Marc.  If you don't care about the owner of a forum, you tend not to care about the forum itself.

This is not just my favorite woodworking forum, but my favorite forum altogether because of the civility...and I'm a member of quite a few.  Good owner, good members, no jerks, and my favorite subject.  Yea!  Group hug.  :D

• Like 2

Good manners cost you nothing and can gain you a lot. 

Most forums, everywhere, are rampant with jerks though.  I think most people think if you hide behind a pseudonym you get free reign to act like a dick. 

• Like 1

I have always found other forums to be lacking in one very important component: control. The people who own it are rarely directly involved in the conversation and they don't want to get their hands dirty. So they have a few moderators who enforce a silly set of arbitrary rules. Forums aren't ant farms! If you want a forum to have a certain personality, you need to be willing to set the example and then enforce a meaningful set of rules. Thankfully, once the momentum gets going, it's the members that keep the forum active, fun, inviting, and somewhat unwelcoming to a-holes.

We sure aren't the biggest woodworking forum out there, but I like to think of us as the best. :)

So pat yourselves on the back my friends!

Argh. I AM A DOGMATIC PERSON AND WHATEVER I SAY GOES.

Actually, the best part of this forum is the welcoming nature to several different techniques for all tasks. Find one you like, and try it out.

I have always found other forums to be lacking in one very important component: control. The people who own it are rarely directly involved in the conversation and they don't want to get their hands dirty. So they have a few moderators who enforce a silly set of arbitrary rules. Forums aren't ant farms! If you want a forum to have a certain personality, you need to be willing to set the example and then enforce a meaningful set of rules. Thankfully, once the momentum gets going, it's the members that keep the forum active, fun, inviting, and somewhat unwelcoming to a-holes. 

We sure aren't the biggest woodworking forum out there, but I like to think of us as the best. :)

So pat yourselves on the back my friends! 

its not the size that matters!  :D

i haven't been following this forum for very long (maybe 1.5 years), but this is exactly why i appreciate this community.  i don't have the time nor the patience for the tomfoolery, flame throwing, asshat commenting, negativity filled online community members/communities of various "you name the forums and forum genres". :rolleyes: it just gets old and in some, if not most, cases can cause a great online community to crumble. there is a line between the previously mentioned and the way to communicate thoughts, ideas, philosophy's, and constructive criticisms effectively and maturely.  i thank all the members for your maturity and excellent discussions. thank you marc for creating such a great space in the land of the interwebs to discuss woodworking in mature, professional and a relatively troll free (hah) environment! besides if you don't like the set of rules that have been established by the community then...GET OFF MY LAWN!!!  :)

i hate this forum thats why i have so many posts there all spam :blink:

honestly it all depends on the time and effort people put into a forum.  i find that when i post on here i get some kind of response within the day.  on other forums there is very little activity or little membership so you might have to sit for weeks hoping for some help.  everytime i posted on lumber jocks i never got a response so i basicly just go there to see what people have made recently.  if i have a question i ask on here because the members comunicate and help one another and because of the companionship and freegiven help i have goten i feel its my obligation to help others.  This is all because there is a solid core of moderators and marc is always floating in to post or view whats going on.