Any interest in a free e-magazine?

jmaichel

Great stuff James!  I was in your neck of the woods today at Edensaw.. Port Townsend

I like Edensaw, huge selection. I don't go over there often because it does involve a ferry ride and usually turns into an all day trip. We love to eat at the Public House they have the best fish n chips that I have had up here. 

I like Edensaw, huge selection. I don't go over there often because it does involve a ferry ride and usually turns into an all day trip. We love to eat at the Public House they have the best fish n chips that I have had up here. 

Lol..  That's where we ate and yes, the food was good.

Ended up being a 1/2 day for us.  Reservations for the ferry really helped.

Edensaw gave me the tour and I was very impressed.  I will be back!

James - here is another topic idea.  "Demystifying Spray Finishes"

With some of the newer systems, spray finishing is within reach for the weekend warrior, but I think many avoid them because it seems complicated. 

I think that is a very good idea. I am not a finishing guru but perhaps I could convince Particle Board to contribute  ;). PB posts a lot in the finishing section and offers a lot of great advice especially when it comes to spraying. 

• 3 weeks later...

A topic I would be interested in.  How to start working with wood.  What does a newcomer need or have to do.  When I started out it was so intimidating and if it wasn't for my stubbornness I would have turned away. I had to spend weeks if not months, hours at a time reading everything I could find on the net.  I've watched hours of Marc's, Matt's and various youtube videos.  Educating myself on how to become a woodworker has almost become a second job for me.  So with the basics endgrained into my brain, I started my wood working adventure.

My first project was to create a workshop and build some benches.  Many hours and hundreds of dollars on wood and tools later, I have a functional shop.  Now my next two projects, build a chest of drawers for storage in my workshop, and building a large counter top style computer desks for my office.  From there I want to launch into making a bedroom set and a microwave hutch.

So long story short, I would have had less frustration if someone had put all the topics I needed together in one place.  Tell me the basics, then show me where to get more info.  You could probably make it into a series or even a column.  I bet even the pros would like to see a "back to basics" column.   :unsure:

A topic I would be interested in. How to start working with wood. What does a newcomer need or have to do.

Good idea. When I started I thought I needed every machine out there in order to make a simple bookcase. It just seemed like every magazine I picked up made the case for a full (and powered) workshop. I remember an excerpt from Wood magazine about shops... The guy said that you had to buy everything before starting, or you would just end up frustrated. There wasn't an alternative to the table saw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, 10 routers, and thickness planer showed in the shop.

On the other side, when there was an article about hand tools there was some 96 year old grey haired guy standing in front of racks and racks of molding planes.

There must be a middle-ground! :)

It took a long time to get where I am now! I consider myself to be a hybrid woodworker. Although I do lean towards the hand tool side of the fence.

The trick is to find out what type of woodworker we are. This takes time. Although with some helpful articles, this lesson can be less painful.

Good idea. When I started I thought I needed every machine out there in order to make a simple bookcase. It just seemed like every magazine I picked up made the case for a full (and powered) workshop. I remember an excerpt from Wood magazine about shops... The guy said that you had to buy everything before starting, or you would just end up frustrated. There wasn't an alternative to the table saw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, 10 routers, and thickness planer showed in the shop.

On the other side, when there was an article about hand tools there was some 96 year old grey haired guy standing in front of racks and racks of molding planes.

There must be a middle-ground! :)

It took a long time to get where I am now! I consider myself to be a hybrid woodworker. Although I do lean towards the hand tool side of the fence.

The trick is to find out what type of woodworker we are. This takes time. Although with some helpful articles, this lesson can be less painful.

It's a catch 22 Mel.  I completely agree with your statement but, all of these magazines, TV shows, and web sites have sponsors that must be appeased.  These sponsors give the ability to make the information available. 

To be honest, that's the biggest thing that attracted me to this site.  The fact that Marc has sponsors but doesn't tell you that you need that stuff to accomplish the task.  Yes, he shows it, advertises it, and uses it but, he has to hold up his end of the bargain too.  What I've never seen him do is tell you that you really need to purchase it for any portion of any of his projects.

It's up to us as the consumer to do our own homework and research.  Figure our for yourself what is luxury and what is required.

• Like 1

I agree. Marc is innocent in this ;)

For a consumer to do research there must be a source for reference. I don't have a long line of woodworkers, or friends that were interested in the craft. My entire world of woodworking was watching Norm making furniture with his radial saw and a router table. I think I saw him use a block plane a few times, but that's it. I was most intrigued by Roy Underhill with his use of hand tools, but it always struck me as more of a history lesson, than a way for "modern" woodworkers to build projects.

I guess my point was that I didn't know any better. I had a very tough time finding out what kind of woodworker I am.

That makes you a smart consumer!  You took what Norm gave you and found your own path, congrats!  From what I've seen of your work on these pages, you're doing just fine!

In today's world, you have to take everything with a grain of salt.  Always keep in in the back of you mind that "someone is paying them to say that".  That doesn't mean that they're wrong or lying, it simply means to find your own answers based on the best available information.

• Like 1

Thank you :)

My first projects were a mess :) I actually still have the first thing I ever made. It was a cabinet for a guitar amp I had.

I learn something every time I walk into my shop or read an article either on here or in a magazine.

With regards to being paid to say things, I can't stand reading some of the reviews in the big magazines. Outright lies. I have seen countless contradictions in every magazine I pick up. Things like this is the best premade bench ever! Wait, this one is! This is the best vise, nope! Gotcha! It's this one!

• Like 1

Thank you :)

My first projects were a mess :) I actually still have the first thing I ever made. It was a cabinet for a guitar amp I had.

I learn something every time I walk into my shop or read an article either on here or in a magazine.

With regards to being paid to say things, I can't stand reading some of the reviews in the big magazines. Outright lies. I have seen countless contradictions in every magazine I pick up. Things like this is the best premade bench ever! Wait, this one is! This is the best vise, nope! Gotcha! It's this one!

Amen! +1

I too have a bunch of projects in my past that were a mess!  I live by a motto in the shop; "If I'm willing to throw it on the fire, I can't make a mistake" :)

• Like 1