Any interest in a free e-magazine?

jmaichel

Thanks for all the input. I went with Weekend Warrior Woodworking. I like weekend woodwarrior but that was taken. I also liked weekend craftsman but I think that kind of goes against the purpose of the magazine. I think we are all craftsmen in a sense but I think for the purpose of this magazine it contradicts what I am trying to accomplish.

On 8/12/2013 at 8:40 AM, Reiska said:

How about names like ...  'Midnight Crafter'?

I got to plaaaane, to keep from sanding

And this plyyyyyyy , needs some edge-banding

And I got one moooore, ten foot rafter

But I'm not goin' stop for dinner, no

Not going to stop, the Midnight Crafter

Apologies to the Allman Brothers.

• Like 2

I've got my fingers crossed that this is able to happen. I'm not sure about what I could contribute, as I'd be more of a consumer, but I'd be happy to help.

I am working hard to make this happen and there are several woodworkers willing to contribute to help make this happen. Jim I am sure you can contribute that is the point of the magazine, everyone who does woodworking in a potential contributor. Would you be interested in writing an article about your shop and sharing some pictures? 

PB beat me too it again.  I'm partial to "Average Joe Woodworker."  

And you can make a note of this: If/when I contribute to your zine I expect no compensation ... ever ... on the condition that you never surrender the rights to have it published anywhere else without my permission.

That sounds like a fantastic idea.  It would be nice to have a mag that doesn't have adirondack chair plans!  But seriously, it would be nice to see a mag by regular joes for regular joes that doesn't expect you to have the top-of-the-line tools to complete a project.  I love the idea above about projects within a certain $$ budget or time frame.  Having contributors like the guys here sharing knowledge would be an added plus.  Go for it!

I am working hard to make this happen and there are several woodworkers willing to contribute to help make this happen. Jim I am sure you can contribute that is the point of the magazine, everyone who does woodworking in a potential contributor. Would you be interested in writing an article about your shop and sharing some pictures? 

Certainly. Count me in.

I thought about average Joe and that is kind of the idea behind the magazine but the truth is that the average Joe woodworker is actually producing some incredible pieces that show their creativity and skill as woodworkers’, all while working out of garages, basements, patio's or any place they can find space at all hours of the day. I felt the name "average Joe" did not accurately represent this core group of woodworkers. I do appreciate all of the suggestions and will keep everyone posted. Those of you that have offered to contribute, thank you and I will be in touch.

I wish you luck and success. I tried to do this with my blacksmithing group, it is a ton of work and no one wants to turn in anything to help. My effort lasted one cycle. It is like I said, a ton of work. Good name by the way!

Thank you! I have some folks already willing to contribute for the first issue. I am also trying to get some advertisers and sponsorship so I can offer some incentive for the folks building the projects and writing the articles. 

This is an utterly great idea, although it seems like it'd be a steep learning curve to get it off the ground (if not a wall that just needs jumped).

I'll help when where/where/how I can.

If it's not too late, I'd also reccomend the title "Sawdust Sundays" or similar if you want it relaxed. Maybe go with Guerilla Glue if you like snarkiness. Keep in mind that lots of the titles proposed thus far might be recycled for article catagories and so on.

This is an utterly great idea, although it seems like it'd be a steep learning curve to get it off the ground (if not a wall that just needs jumped).

I'll help when where/where/how I can.

If it's not too late, I'd also reccomend the title "Sawdust Sundays" or similar if you want it relaxed. Maybe go with Guerilla Glue if you like snarkiness. Keep in mind that lots of the titles proposed thus far might be recycled for article catagories and so on.

I will take all the help I can get. There is a learning curve and I have already had some very late nights and early mornings ( my daughter wakes up around 730).  I settled on the name weekend warrior woodworking and have already registered the domain name and magazine title. 

i used to do a weekly ezine and man it took for ever, no one was ever happy either. Mind that was a completely different community to this one so i think from that point you will be fine.

Good luck with it. I cant contribute any wood working knowledge but i can help with print stuff. Just shout if you need any.