My universe has warped

mmonday

Oh no! I just went to the shop to finish some mortises for ebony plugs on the front panel only to find it had cupped...about 1/8". After staring at it for I really don't know how long and feeling myself go red-hot and, I think, swearing, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to start a new panel. I really don't think there is a way to recover this.....but I would like to depend upon the collective knowledge of the woodtalk forum (specifically fellow guild members engaged on the G&G chest) population to, possibly, give me a clue on how to salvage this panel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hey John. Yea, the panels have been built for a couple of weeks and I've stickered them unless working on them. My shop is well insulated and air conditioned. We've had some wild weather in this part of the country (normally hot and dry this time of year) as it's been much cooler than normal and I think we've received about 6,800,491 inches on rain in the past 2 months. :). Actually it has rained almost every day but the past few have been dry. In fact on Wednesday all was well with the panels.

Question is is there a miracle cure of returning them to flat?

Concave is the dry side. The traditional lumber yard fix from across the pond deep in the mountains is to lay the concave side on damp grass in the sun. Monitor carefully. You can usually dramatically reverse the cup. You may introduce some twist. Another method flash drys the convex by laying the concave on your bench and taking a hair dryer or heat gun to the convex. Another method that may reduce cup but introduce some twist. These methods are far more effective in the rough but have saved an old furniture piece for me a time or two.

This works depending on the thickness of the wood..  Any Q's please let me know...  It's an older vid on my other channel, (don't laugh too much!)  but the info is still relevant :huh: .. 

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't realize this was under the Guild heading..  Not a member yet, but working on it :D...

Keep in mind that the final glueup of the case may very allow you to force the panel flat. Assemble, clamp, and drive the screws. 1/8" really isn't that bad.

And if these wet correction methods actually work for you, make sure you assembly quickly afterward to lock the panel in a flat orientation.

Thanks Mark. With the recessed screws reducing the 'meat' I didn't want to take a chance with "pulling it in". If all fails I'll certainly try it (dry fit) before committing to a replacement panel.

I did a quick check on progress and I believe the panel will be as flat as flat can be. My plan is to finish all routing, sanding, and assembly all in one swoop. The case will be assembled before the clock strikes mid-night (actually well before but it will be done by then). Hopefully that'll tame the beast.

If it all works out it'll be a red-letter day.

Several hours later....

Couldn't have asked for a better result. While the panel was not perfectly flat is was very close....close enough to safely pull it in with screws. My plan was to lock it in with glue and screws tonight but I simply ran outta steam. I dry fit the case and clamped it every which way but loose so it shouldn't move again.

Trip to the big box in the morning for screws and will do final finish before glue up.

Many thanks to all who responded (talkin about cha TIODS!). Even though I've been working wood for a number of years I never knew a panel could be un-cupped and not only did I save my panel but I learned a lot too.

Moving forward from here.....see you on the Guild.

Blu