Shaker Workbench

Llama

Most of the shaker benches I've seen are painted.  Is that typical?  If so, does that help with your decisions any Mel?

I'm not sure if most of them were painted, but the ones that get the publicity are mostly painted ones. And most of them are blue.

I think the ones that are not painted don't have the appeal I am looking for. I really like the painted ones. I also like the painted pieces I have made. One thing about the Shakers is they were not afraid to use color. 

Email Jameel with your dilemma and ask him specifically why he went  plywood over hardwood. 

Plywood allows you the screw or join the carcase together without regard to wood movement. I would use it. If you prefer solid wood though, I would recommend you build the carcase using frame and panel construction. That would work fine, although it would be a lot of work. If you use plywood, and have a Festool TS55 you can have all the parts cut to perfection for the carcase before lunch. No joke. Use high quality ply if you go that route. Baltic birch would be awesome. Ron built his base almost exactly like our plans, since they are based off his. His solid back is the only significant difference. Have fun! Jameel  
  These are his words exactly.

Well then, I guess you'll just have to sell all your LN stuff.  Then when you are done with your bench, you can sell the TS55 and use the money to finally get all the Veritas stuff you've been wanting. :P

Ha! That honestly had me laughing :) I needed that. Thanks!

I have no idea what a TS-55 is but I'm pretty sure the Shakers didn't have them. 

I will say this,  I have a Record 7" front vise made when Record wasn't the company it once was.  I doubt I've ever needed to use half the torque even that little bugger is capable is putting on a board.  If you find yourself having to shower down on any vise then something about the set up is horribly amiss.  It's woodworking, you aren't closing the hatch on a submarine or the watertight bulkhead doors on the Titanic.

If you're building a Shaker workbench, how about a wooden bench screw from these guys:

http://lakeerietoolworks.com/

• Like 1