First Try at Dovetails

JoshC1501

Here is my first try at hand cut dovetails, the recent 2 part article in FWW got me off my butt and started.  Definitely some mistakes though.

post-14301-0-97859700-1392067752_thumb.j

Here was my second attempt.  It actually looks a lot better, but is too loose.  

post-14301-0-10869100-1392067876_thumb.j

Back at it later.  I had a bunch of maple scraps laying around, so that is what I used.  Probably not the most forgiving wood to start with!

Josh

• Like 2

Tails are the part that looks like a birds tail when the pieces are separate (usually on the sides of a drawer.) Pins are the little triangular parts that sticks out (cut on the front and rear of a drawer.) These may not be the best descriptions.....  If and which one to leave proud depend on the application.  Don't worry too much about that for now. Just keep cutting and pairing.

Those aren't bad at all!

Did you use a marking gauge, or just transfer using a pencil?

Marking gauge, just traced over the cut with a pencil so I could see it better when sawing.  I cut to deep, past the line on the first try.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. 

I always leave both pins and tails proud on through dovetails.  You can always plane or sand them down, but there's nothing you can do when they're cut too short.  Just add 1/32" to the depth of your scribe line.  And be sure to take this into consideration if you're fitting a drawer.  Often I'll cut my drawer front so that I can barely squeeze it into the opening...once the pins are planed down and the drawer sides are sanded, there's a nice, small gap.  Then I'll work the height of the drawer to match the gaps on the sides.  I digress...

Nicely done. My first attempt at hand cut dovetails I used cedar which is really soft and I had a ton of chip out when I was trying to pare to the exact fit. I eventually gave up on using cedar. My friend told me that maple and poplar are good to learn on because they're straighter grained and have enough hardness to not chip out. My next attempt will be with some rock maple cause I have a ton of that laying around. Thanks for sharing!!

Have you seen the chisels for your HCM? A friend of mine has a set and they are great.

Who is the maker?  I know several Japanese toolmakers make "dovetail" chisels with steep side bevels that basically intersect with the back so there is not flat on the sides, allowing you to get all the way into the inside corners of your tails.  While I wouldn't mind having set, for now I just reground the side bevels of a 1/4 inch chisel to create the same benefit.  Easy and a lot cheaper...

Who is the maker?  I know several Japanese toolmakers make "dovetail" chisels with steep side bevels that basically intersect with the back so there is not flat on the sides, allowing you to get all the way into the inside corners of your tails.  While I wouldn't mind having set, for now I just reground the side bevels of a 1/4 inch chisel to create the same benefit.  Easy and a lot cheaper...

Look up Terry Beitl he is the cabinet maker that patented them. Im sure he has a web site I can't remember what he called them.

Josh - good on you! I've tried on our Italian forum to get people to show their first (and second) results, but they're too shy! Now keep going - you're doing pretty well, actually better than I did first off.

Did you know that Italian woodworkers call them Swallowtails?

John

Edited by john@verona