New pole barn shop progress

estesbubba

I would check before you hang anything from your trusses that they were designed to carry that load.  For my building, it was something I had to specifically ask for when ordering my trusses.

I agree.  A 22' span for 2 x 6's is a pretty good ways to be carrying the weight of sheetrock and the attic insulation.

Made good progress over the weekend and have about 60% of the walls done with vapor barrier and OSB. Didn't take long to realize that OSB has variances in thickness and squareness. Not bad but enough to leave some gaps that will need caulk or something to fill in. 

Showing the 6 mil poly I used for vapor barrier. 

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

This is really great to follow and get so many ideas from for mine. I feel almost guilty that I am able to benefit from your research and ideas! I just got the site work prep done for mine and material is coming on the 18th. I'll be going a lot slower than you for the finishing process as my budget is slightly hampered by a new car purchase and my daughters college tuition. : -)

Really looks awesome bro!

I hope you rent a drywall lift to hang the ceiling. Scaffolding or stilts and another pair of hands is also a good idea.

Looking good ! Should be all sealed up for winter,don't you think?

Steve, I agree. I borrowed one from my brother that he had made. It tilted and had casters and made for a one man operation, where other wise it would take two to hold the rock and cuss the third guy w/ the nail or screw gun.

Oh, and I almost forgot, This workshop is looking fandamntastic :D

BTW Steve - I already have borrowed a drywall lift!

Tonight I hooked up my first 3 circuits to the panel and I tested them all with a multimeter. 2 circuits were 120 with the first outlet in each circuit GFCI and 1 240. A little scary hooking the first one to the panel but it's gratifying to know all my research and attention to detail paid off. Of course I had to plug the halogen lights into my new circuit for the pics!

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

You keep on that things gonna be a shop!!!! Kind of like becoming a husband when you say "I do"....when you plug in the first machine, it SUDDENLY CHANGES....IT'S A DISNEY METAMORPHOSIS from a really nice man cave to an enviable shop! We all envy you....even Shaffer.... :P (just kidding you buddy).....what I love is the openness....my shop is so packed.  I see your abundant room and it makes me want to drag the green trash cans back to mine again.

The past 2 weeks have been busy with other things but I have been getting an hour or two here and there and making a little progress. Even with a drywall lift the ceiling goes slow. It's raise the 2x4's, mark the lines, lower, cut, raise, then attach to ceiling. After that it's repeat the process with OSB (luckily only end pieces need cut). Currently the walls are 75% done, the ceiling 40% done, and 5 of the 10 T8 high output strips are up. I put the lights on 2 circuits and have some overhead light now is so much nicer than eye-level halogens. 

Working with 12-2 wire is a pain so I decide to take the easy route and put each switch in its own box!

IMG_1568.JPG

The back wall has a several 120 and 240 outlets. The 120's left and right are on separate circuits in case over 20 amps is needed and all 240 are on a single breaker. The first outlet on every 120 is GFCI with additional outlets on the load side of it so they have GFCI protection also. The top of all the outlets are 48" from the floor. 

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

These styrofoam vent panels attach to the purlins and girts to allow air circulation behind them after the insulation is blown in. They keep the insulation from covering the vent openings but allow air to flow behind them.

IMG_0168.JPG

Here is what the ceiling and lights currently look like and the remaining walls that need to be completed. 

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG