New pole barn shop progress

estesbubba

Found an 18" wide 3/4" nap roller which probably holds a quart of paint. Put 5 gallons of primer on the ceiling Wednesday afternoon and 4 gallons of paint Thursday morning and my body is feeling it this morning. I will say it feels good to be done with rollers, and some trim work and brush painting is all that's left. If is nice and bright in there and I'm really happy how the painting turned out.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

• Like 1

Looks fantastic! Are those speakers in the ceiling? 

Yes, I got an Onkyo 7.1 receiver off Craigslist for $100 which included a Bluetooth music receiver and also has 2nd zone which I'll use for the porch. I put 6 of these 6-1/2" speakers in the ceiling and was surprised how good they sound. Definitely good enough for a shop.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4103&seq=1&format=2

I thought about putting 4 speakers in my ceiling in the soffit that surrounds the steel beam. I somehow convinced myself that it wasn't necessary. I closed up all the walls and the first thing i thought was " damn I should've done that" I could still do the speaker thing, I use my old cell phone with Spotify running and control the playlist from my current phone.

I try to take our 3 year old Golden hiking every weekend in the fall, winter, and spring. Well this morning our 6 month old got to go for the first time and he did great. We saw 4 adult Bald Eagles along the river so a great way to start the day.

post-8178-14173099632446_thumb.jpg

It was an incredibly nice day and I actually had the windows open which was nice. I caulked along the floor and put trim on the floor, corners, windows, and door. I need to caulk the ceiling trim then paint the remaining areas. After that the construction is done and it's time to move more stuff in and start on my cyclone dust collection.

post-8178-14173106931261_thumb.jpg

post-8178-14173107042615_thumb.jpg

And hanging the first thing on the wall was a great feeling!

post-8178-14173108514336_thumb.jpg

Shame we are scattered all over the continent/ world. Watching your shop come together this year deserves a shop warming party ! Eager to follow the platform bed Journal. I built one in my 20's for a waterbed. I know you will far exceed my 2x10's and drywall screws effort, but plenty of memories were made.......

Shame we are scattered all over the continent/ world. Watching your shop come together this year deserves a shop warming party !

Well.........we could all go to Nebraska........airfare to Lincoln is only $1458 round trip from Myrtle Beach......Mike...we all may have to make and sell something while we're there!!!

I will probably have a shop warming party sometime but don't know how many WoodTalker's are around the Omaha, NE area. 

Speaking of warming, it seems the R-19 in walls and R-44 in ceiling is doing its job. This monitor resets the highs/lows at midnight and I took this pic at 8:30am when it was 14 degrees outside, so holding steading at 45! I have the thermostat set to 40 and so far the heater hasn't kicked on when set to it. Now when we get an arctic blast that lasts for days it probably will but hoping it doesn't run much to keep it at 40. 

IMG_0289.JPG

Looks like your good planning is paying off Mike!

46 in there this morning with the outside temp in the upper teens. The concrete temp in the center of the shop is 50 and I wonder if that is what is keeping the shop in the 40's at night? It will be interesting what the concrete temp will be in January and February and if the overnight inside temp is directly related to it. The concrete isn't insulated so I'm assuming its temp is going to drop throughout winter (hoping I'm wrong). 

Shame we are scattered all over the continent/ world. Watching your shop come together this year deserves a shop warming party ! Eager to follow the platform bed Journal. I built one in my 20's for a waterbed. I know you will far exceed my 2x10's and drywall screws effort, but plenty of memories were made.......

Steve, were those memories after the waterbed build or during :huh:

46 in there this morning with the outside temp in the upper teens. The concrete temp in the center of the shop is 50 and I wonder if that is what is keeping the shop in the 40's at night? It will be interesting what the concrete temp will be in January and February and if the overnight inside temp is directly related to it. The concrete isn't insulated so I'm assuming its temp is going to drop throughout winter (hoping I'm wrong). 

I think the temp of the concrete will be dependent on how deep it goes into the ground. As far as I've been able to find out, most of the US has a fairly stable 52F temp at 8' below ground level so the closer your slab is to that the less it should be affected by the surface temp outside (I don't imagine you've got an 8' thick slab :) ). I'll be interested to see how it does.

On Saturday I put 2 coats of paint around the outlets, above the heater and air filtration, and around the windows and door. Right now it is too white in there and I'm hoping once cabinets and everything else is in there it won't be as bad. If so I can paint around the windows and door a tan color. 

Since I hate painting, the painting Gods hate me. On Sunday morning I had to paint the base, corner, and ceiling trim, plus around the lights and ceiling outlets. I came up with the great idea to use my Fuji MM4 for this! So I thinned the paint a bit, put in my 1.8mm tip, and started on the base trim. About 75% through the base trim I pulled the trigger and my gun peed all over itself making a mess. Plus I noticed that is wasn't getting into the OSB cracks very well at all. After a cleaning nightmare with the gun and parts I noticed the hose had a kink which caused the air problem. So instead of continuing with a brush, I was pissed and parked my butt on the couch and watched football.

I did brush the remaining base trim, plus the corner and ceiling trim last night. One more coat on those areas, plus two coats around the lights and speakers, and I'm finally done painting. 

PAINTING SUCKS!

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG