New pole barn shop progress

estesbubba

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, in post #213 (feet up, table saw and DC in the background) - where'd you put the power for the table saw (and jointer, I think)?  I saw that you put a lot of 220s around the walls, but do you have a 220 in the ceiling as well?  In the floor?  Are you running a cable from the wall?

Thanks!

Matt

Ok...im looking at building a shop myself...this build post has been an awesome resources as it acts as a check list....i think you actually thought of everything. So the million dollar question...if i was going to build a shop simmilar to this what can i expect to set my budget at...not machinery just structure and infrastructure

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, in post #213 (feet up, table saw and DC in the background) - where'd you put the power for the table saw (and jointer, I think)?  I saw that you put a lot of 220s around the walls, but do you have a 220 in the ceiling as well?  In the floor?  Are you running a cable from the wall?

Thanks!

Matt

Yes I have 110 and 220 outlets in the ceiling above the machines

Ok...im looking at building a shop myself...this build post has been an awesome resources as it acts as a check list....i think you actually thought of everything. So the million dollar question...if i was going to build a shop simmilar to this what can i expect to set my budget at...not machinery just structure and infrastructure

I would get quotes from local pole barn builders. Figure at least 50% of building cost to complete the shop and that's doing most of the work yourself. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been asked already but what did it cost per Sq foot? My wife is interested in throwing up a pole barn as well a new barn. Can't seem to get any pricing out of anyone like morton. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pricing isn't as simple at price per sq/ft. In addition to the size of the building it depends on style, porch, windows, doors, overhead door, ceiling height, etc. Going from a 30x40 to a 30x60 building might not cost a lot more, but concrete and finishing the inside will add a lot. 

If Morton won't get back to you I would contact other builders. In my area there is Lester (who I went with), Cleary, Astro, Wick, Morton, and some others. If none of them have time to get you pricing then they probably don't have time to put a building up. 

Pricing isn't as simple at price per sq/ft. In addition to the size of the building it depends on style, porch, windows, doors, overhead door, ceiling height, etc. Going from a 30x40 to a 30x60 building might not cost a lot more, but concrete and finishing the inside will add a lot. 

If Morton won't get back to you I would contact other builders. In my area there is Lester (who I went with), Cleary, Astro, Wick, Morton, and some others. If none of them have time to get you pricing then they probably don't have time to put a building up. 

I was trying to get a rough estimate without really talking to people. She wants a HUGE barn with an indoor arena and thinks 200k is an overestimate lol Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

You have to use common sense. Sheets that are hot and humid are on the big side. Butt when hot and humid, use a dime in spring and fall, use a nail shank in the middle of winter. I have personally repaired many dozens of gapless that bowed studs. The force of the OSB expansion with ambient humidity will pull and push studs giving you an S curve wall. What saves a lot of people who don't gap is that they scheduled their project during a summer lay off. Conditioning the space certainly moderates this effect. One caveat is that often a bunk of OSB will get snow covered in the winter and will swell with the moisture even though the ambient humidity is down. No framer carries around a moisture meter, but it's wood and generally follows those rules. Another caveat for guys framing inside is that propane tube heaters put out a super damp heat. Again, just use common sense. 

Edited by C Shaffer