New pole barn shop progress

estesbubba

Fine Homebuilding magazine has been covering this for a while.  I think they still have the special issue dedicated to building your own shed on the shelves right now.  If memory serves, which lately it hasn't, I believe they offered two choices for pole buildings: posts set in concrete footings and posts set on concrete footings.  You give up strength when you set posts on top of footings but the building last longer.  The other way you gain strength but lose life on the shed.

The last time I heard of anyone using crushed limestone to set posts was Norm Abram when he installed a mail box in his yard after he'd built it on the New Yankee Workshop.  I never heard of anyone else doing that until now.  I've been holding off on replacing my mailbox post but I think I'ill be going this route now.   

Congrats on the shop! I have a similar shop, in that it is a metal pole building. I don't think I'd have chosen those colors though, being a Michigan fan :D. The shop was already built when we purchased the house. They used a vinyl fiberglass insulation between the girts and metal siding. It's nice but I'm looking to improve the insulation and so forth. I find that it's fairly cold and a little damp in the winter and hot in the summer. I'm thinking of framing in everything between the 6x6 support posts and putting up plywood walls on the interior. Any suggestions on the best way to go about insulating that? Did the contractor on this build have options for that? I guess I could just put up studs and batt insulation, but wondering if that is the best method for a building like this. My other thought was osb against the vinyl, studs, batt insulation, and then plywood walls. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on that, or what others have done. Again, congrats on the shop. It looks great.

Congrats on the shop! I have a similar shop, in that it is a metal pole building. I don't think I'd have chosen those colors though, being a Michigan fan :D. The shop was already built when we purchased the house. They used a vinyl fiberglass insulation between the girts and metal siding. It's nice but I'm looking to improve the insulation and so forth. I find that it's fairly cold and a little damp in the winter and hot in the summer. I'm thinking of framing in everything between the 6x6 support posts and putting up plywood walls on the interior. Any suggestions on the best way to go about insulating that? Did the contractor on this build have options for that? I guess I could just put up studs and batt insulation, but wondering if that is the best method for a building like this. My other thought was osb against the vinyl, studs, batt insulation, and then plywood walls. Just curious if anyone has thoughts on that, or what others have done. Again, congrats on the shop. It looks great.

My BIL had foam sprayed on the inside of the walls and roof tin. It seals any gaps and also dampens the noise during downpours. Nice and toasty in the middle of northern Illinois winters. He uses a corn fired boiler with PEX in the concrete floor.

I am considering the spray foam idea. I guess where I'm unsure is best method for doing that. Should I frame it in and the spray foam directly onto the vinyl? Tear all the vinyl out, then frame and spray foam? That would be a lot of messy work btw.

Looking great Mike! I just got a call from the town saying my permits are ready for pick up, so Morton should be starting construction on mine in about a month!

Awesome! As your building goes up it will keep looking bigger! When I had mine staked out it didn't seem like I was going from 440 sq/ft to 1200! Each I was like "wow, this is going to be nice and big". My builder said it's typical for the building to appear bigger once it's up. 

I might have set a record for getting my permit - 48 hours! What was nice was I did it all by email. 

Here is how I plan on finishing the inside for insulation. I can get rolls up to 6' wide. 

The concrete was poured on Monday and electrical trenched to the building today. Hoping the power company can come out and connect power to transformer and put meter on building by early next week. After that I can start wiring inside, insulating, and hang ceiling and walls. It's starting to look like a shop...

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG