LN block or rabbet block?

estesbubba

So these hand tool decisions don't get any easier. I was set on getting the LN LAJ and rabbet block as my first planes...until I called LN. I spoke with a very nice lady and she said definitely get the LAJ but suggested the LA block over the rabbet block. She said the adjustable mouth is far more useful over the rabbeting ability. 

Before her suggestions I told her that I will use dado blade or router bit for rabbets. For all my M&T work I will use either my Leigh FMT or Domino so there shouldn't be any sneaking up there. I have a Veritas router plane on order so that could be used if needed. 

So what do you think? LA Block or Rabbet Block?

I have the Rabbet and love it!  I haven't played with the block so, can't really comment on that.

I do think your original thinking was sound tho.  You're not purely a hand tool guy.  

Also, are you planning on buying a shoulder plane?   

My point was that you may not need it if you have the rabbet block plane?

I really like LN, they've been great!  However, this kind of sounds like you're being steered into something not quite as versatile which could also have you ordering a shoulder plane to do what you could have done with the rabbited block.

Traditional block planes are a dime a dozen, even in the adjustable mouth category. Rabbet block, not as much. Premium dollars for me go for the harder to source. Since I wanted an LAJ, I spent for it. In standard planes I have both vintage Bailey pattern and woodie planes. This does not mean other planes are not in my future, but as I feel a need or desire I am more likely to spend for the handier hard to find stuff.

I firmly believe the Skew Rabbet block is the best/most versatile block plane on the market. If you are either going to get a low angle block, or a rabbet block... I say get the Skew Rabbet block. Even though it is a little more money. The Skew Rabbet has a fence that is great for multiple things. 

If you turn it upside down it works backwards?  I'm confused.

The point of having a skewed blade is to be able to tackle tricky grain prone to tearout.  The skew block only has a nicker on one side, does it not?  So if you're cleaning up a rabbet with tricky grain, but the grain is running the wrong direction, what's the advantage if you don't have the pair?  You may as well just be using the regular rabbet block...please correct me if I'm missing something.

My failed attempt at humor. Sorry.

I can certainly see where two of them would be better than one.

When cleaning a tenons cheek, which is probably what most will use the plane for, the skew does excel across the grain, where you can't skew the standard rabbet plane to replicate the advantages. Here the cross grain nicker is used, along with the skewed blade for a cleaner shaving.

As for cutting rabbets, the beauty of the skew is it pulls the plane in tighter to the piece. Giving you a better result with less effort. I haven't had this plane for long, but when I got it, I ran a rabbet around a board with no problems.

I can see someone getting into trouble if they try to take too deep of a cut, but if used properly as a clean up tool for cheeks, and used with the fence for rabbets using a light cuts I don't see any problems.

Ah, humor. :D I get it. We're on the same page. If I were more of a knuckle-dragger, I'd probably have the pair.

I was worried about you for a minute! :)

I'll have the pair at some point. Truth is I found this one at a good price. Too good to pass on, and it was on the list. :)

I have the LN Rabbeting block plane, and I love it.  

Don,

Sometimes we hobbyists are not as precise (NEVER!) as we should be on our machining operations.  A rabbetting block plane are great for cleaning up those goofs that we NEVER make.  :)

Traditional block planes are a dime a dozen, even in the adjustable mouth category. Rabbet block, not as much. Premium dollars for me go for the harder to source.

I agree with this. Get the rabbet block plane, which is a low angle as well.

You can get a LA block plane in vintage or new (Wood River, Veritas) for less than LN charges. Or you might opt for the higher angle instead to add versatility.

I own a LN LA block... its a great plane, but I wish it was the rabbet.  ;)

I have the LN Rabbeting block plane, and I love it.  

Don,

Sometimes we hobbyists are not as precise (NEVER!) as we should be on our machining operations.  A rabbetting block plane are great for cleaning up those goofs that we NEVER make.   :)

It was a honest question. I'm buying some hand tools but don't want to be a collector. If some are truly useful I don't mind spending the money. Bought myself a set of chisels and a glass plate with sandpaper to go along with them and a shiny new plane.

• Like 1

Don, you of all people should know...don't buy a tool if you don't have a need for it.  That said, I can't believe an old hand like you has never had a block plane. :huh:  The question becomes...why now?

Something to do. I bought the chisels specifically to cut the Roycroft symbol in the side of a trapezoid book case that is first on my list. I bought the plane for no other reason than I think it may be handy. I had a old stanley plane years ago but could not tell you where it went. I think it pounded more nails than anything else. I may even try to hand cut a dovetail when the time comes.

The new woodworker should consider the kit they’ll end-up with when making initial purchases… Initial purchased should be in-line with a goal for a certain kit to make specific types of furniture… I didn’t do this and ended-up with all kinds of kit I ultimately didn’t need --- don’t make my mistake…

If you are planning to get a shoulder plane, then the need for the R-portion of the RBP goes way down… You may still want it for raised panels, etc – but the capability to massage joinery will be handled by the shoulder plane – that’s what it was designed to do...

One other hand, every shop has the need for a block plane. For me, it’s the nimble apron-plane… By far, the most used plane in my shop is the LN 102…