TWWG Split Top Roubo Build #544

estesbubba

That's awesome Mike. The bench dogs were a fun little bit to make. 

Yeah they were a nice change of pace. Every step with the tops was stressful because you could ruin a slab. I think the base will go quicker and messing up something up won't be as tragic as a slab. 

Glad I didn't make the jig as it probably would have taken as long to make as just cranking out the dogs with bandsaw and edge sander. 

Milling legs and rails today. 

The more I thought about it, the more the one tail vise rail not being deep enough bothered me. I measured it this morning and it was 1/8" off so too much for me so I removed the vise and re-routed. Now it's in there perfect and I feel better about it even though it still operates the same. I put epoxy into the dog block screw holes and will re-drill tomorrow using the drill press like I should have the first time. 

Milled up a bunch of 8/4 for the 6 rails and also glued up the leg blanks. Those are going to be some beefy legs. A little more squeeze out than I like but the blanks are over sized and that will get cut of at the bandsaw. 

Rumor has it there might be a Jet Black Friday sale but I still love my old-school Bessey's. 

CA675B0B-EC0B-4A2E-8CC3-847E8D8DEB3F_zps

• Like 2

Hey Mike, did you know that if you have a Bowflex in your shop, you have either too much shop or not enough tools?

I approve of everything else.  Nice work.

Ha, the reason I have a Bowflex in my shop is because my wife said she had too less yoga room! And after seeing your shop pics I already know I don't have enough tools. The good news is when my wife wanted my Christmas list I just showed her a pic of your hand tool cabinet.

Thanks for the compliments on the bench. 

• Like 1

I was moving a little slow today after having friends over last night. I used a forstner bit to hog out most of the crisscross mortises and a monster bit for the inset. I finished the mortises with the workhorse 1/2" spiral bit. I'm glad to be done with all the hand routing with it. I was tired and only finished one mortise cleanup with a chisel. 

DFE04B36-BE5F-4BA1-B8DC-F70F3106822C_zps

2DF0676C-092B-4E31-B3F5-859AC37CCAFE_zps

8C6D1549-6C69-413C-8CA1-72AC23C5E9E9_zps

• Like 1