TWWG Split Top Roubo Build #544

estesbubba

The final slab glue up and I used epoxy for the condor tail, which came out good but not perfect. The end cap is a little proud and I'll sand it flush tomorrow. I'll install the vice tomorrow and it feels good to almost be done with the top. There are so many chances to screw up that front slab and it will be a relief once the vice is installed and working properly. 

Thanks to Brian and Tom for their build threads and answering questions. 

04143B26-9B0A-4992-852D-89145FB1E10F_zps

EAB4583E-0836-4F23-826B-33217A31B02C_zps

12" Bessey #16 has been lonely during the build - he just hasn't been needed. 

13075EDB-A7A7-4DA5-85DD-76E302361CF6_zps

Its looking good mike. The condor tails look great. Why do you say they aren't perfect? Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I'm probably a little hard on myself as the chisel wandered on a few chops, but after cleaning up the joint, I'm happy with it. I thought I might have some regrets not going with a contrasting wood for the end cap, but after installing the vise and wiping with mineral spirits, love the combination of hardware and wood. Oh, and that hardware is so damn smooth!

Back to the shop now to install the dog strip and cut the front slab to length. I'll be happy to finally be done with that cut from both sides method, because no matter how careful you are, there is some luck involved. 

527C2E56-EEC9-40FD-9AC6-79CA0D23AC08_zps

• Like 1

Did you guys all go circular saw for the end cut?   It seems like it's so difficult to line up properly, ya might as well plan to be off, cut it, then square it with a lajp or other low angel plane.

I'm also wondering if there's any Merritt in a strong helper to support the end, slab clamped to the mitre bar,and just cutting it on the bandsaw.

Did you guys all go circular saw for the end cut?   It seems like it's so difficult to line up properly, ya might as well plan to be off, cut it, then square it with a lajp or other low angel plane.

I'm also wondering if there's any Merritt in a strong helper to support the end, slab clamped to the mitre bar,and just cutting it on the bandsaw.

Stong friend would make me nervous if they were responsible for both lifting and guiding. I wonder about an improvised sliding support. Sliding tables on a table saw make sense so on a band saw could be helpful. Honestly a hand plane cleaning up a rough cut is not awful when you can access the whole end at once. 

Stong friend would make me nervous if they were responsible for both lifting and guiding. I wonder about an improvised sliding support. Sliding tables on a table saw make sense so on a band saw could be helpful. Honestly a hand plane cleaning up a rough cut is not awful when you can access the whole end at once. 

i was thinking friend would only support the end. The mitre Guage would guide and keep it straight.

i was thinking friend would only support the end. The mitre Guage would guide and keep it straight.

I think you're underestimating how heavy the slab is...the friend wouldn't be the issue - I think keeping it registered properly with the miter gauge would be very tough.

The circular saw method sucks but it works.  Like C Shaffer said - just hit it with a hand plane when you're done.  I did, and it's close to square, but not quite.  Has no bearing on anything though, so I didn't sweat it.  

Holy crap that looks amazing. Love that handle. What kind of wood is it? Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I think mine are Dymondwood handles and now they are using acrylic infused cherry. 

I think you're underestimating how heavy the slab is...the friend wouldn't be the issue - I think keeping it registered properly with the miter gauge would be very tough.

The circular saw method sucks but it works.  Like C Shaffer said - just hit it with a hand plane when you're done.  I did, and it's close to square, but not quite.  Has no bearing on anything though, so I didn't sweat it.  

Exactly - crosscutting one 8' 8/4 board is tough enough and a slab of 6-7 8/4 boards isn't going to happen no matter how many people are helping!