TWWG Split Top Roubo Build #544

estesbubba

Finished the chop, added the suede, and completed the final leg vise installation today. Man is this thing smooth and extremely powerful. You barely have to tighten it and I can lift myself off the ground without the board moving at all. I also sanded the top to 150 and side and chop to 180 and applied a coat of Danish oil. I'll apply a 2nd coat to the top tomorrow morning and do the base once the deadman and shelves are done. Also have to drill holdfast holes in top and make gap stop. 

A41EE86E-3FB3-4C35-9E2E-694298CCD33D_zps

Pleasantly surprised how much the condor tails pop with just a maple end cap. 

64111C0D-AD30-453F-831E-7AE846EE8700_zps

I like the chop hardware with the maple. 

DCC353C7-8CCA-4B30-A2F3-AE69C2E51487_zps

It's a fully functional bench now!

53EFCA0A-3E81-4AA1-A3F9-C43E9CD24E00_zps

One thing is the chop wants to rotate CCW a little and I can't figure out why. The vise is completely smooth from closed to fully open. The threaded rod isn't near wood at all and the acetal bushing has room top and bottom. Even removing the bushing doesn't change anything. I've moved the crosscriss left and right and same thing. The chop will rotate both sides of noon. Here is what it looks like when closing naturally and it won't affect the functionality but any ideas on why it's at 11:59 instead of noon?

4D25F3C3-6811-4C3A-9C4F-302571DC14C7_zps

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Janello said:

Looks great Mike! I just ordered my hardware and joined the guild. I can wait to start!

It's a lot of work but is worth the journey! Make sure you bookmark Tom's and Brian's build threads as they are invaluable. Funny thing is last night I was just thinking that this bench seems to have taken as much time as finishing the inside of my building. Probably not but is a detailed project. What wood are you going to use?

Beautiful job Mike.  Now go beat the hell out of it. :)

I don't know what it is...every time I see a new Roubo I get the hankerin' to look for buried treasure.  Aaaaargh matey!

A kid dresses up as a pirate for Halloween and goes trick-or-treating by himself.  He knocks on a door and a man answers.

The man says, "Oh, a pirate!  But where are your buccaneers?"

The kid says, "On my buccan head, duh."

• Like 2