Please no, not another Roubo build thread

The dado stack is made by systimatic. It's not made anymore. Made in USA, was 200 new. Blah to the results.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

That's a bummer dude. My cheaper Freud 8"set cuts way better than that, although I do have one chipper where the ground on one tooth is slightly high. Once I isolated that chipper and stopped using it, my dado's got super clean.

That's a bummer dude. My cheaper Freud 8"set cuts way better than that, although I do have one chipper where the ground on one tooth is slightly high. Once I isolated that chipper and stopped using it, my dado's got super clean.

It's 1 chipper that's doing it. Keep in mind that's 4 or 5 passes to get the 2" length in the mortise. In a long actual dado there's 1 little ridge. I don't dado enough to really worry about it. I clean it up with the router plane.

Out of curiosity, how tall are you making your legs and how tall are you?

I've been considering this as my bench build gets closer. I have 3 different working height surfaces in my shop now and really enjoy working on the taller ones. At 6'1 I'm not a giant but also not the 5'10 average. .

I'm 6' I'm sticking to the plans and keeping the bench at 35" tall to match the height of my table saw. Benchcrafted recommends adjusting the leg height below the bottom rail. I thought about bringing the bench to 36 or 36 1/2" but that would make the moxon vise too high. That's on the todo list.

Another hour of coaxing tenons to get in their homes. Next up is long rail tenons. I decided the block plane is the easiest way to round my tenons. Round them at the bottom with a chisel, then let the edge of the block plane ride that curve, and work it like a deli slicer.

And this is an example why careful layout and setup is important.

0600de2d0112fb71a321de015af32ded.jpg

cfa49b010eed2893feb8cc6787c162d9.jpg

I agree that making your bench the same height as you TS is a good idea. Extremely helpful in a smaller shop where surfaces must multitask as outfeed tables, etc...

Would be helpful for that odd time I have to cut a full length odd ply on the table saw. Though I foresee parallel guides for the tracksaw in my future.

Got a present from eBay today. Some nice scraps of suede for my dogs. While benchcrafted sent some pieces, it's not enough for 14 bench dogs. There are some big pieces for the leg vise, and maybe the cutoff from that would cut it. However 7 bucks for this much suede, is a good color was a great price.

30969d32be91900303abcd50f4ef438f.jpg

That's a steal at $7, Tom! Good find!

FYI, for anyone else in the market, artificial suede is actually a good bit tougher than natural, and won't dry out with age. In a former life, I worked for a high-end garment manufacturer. We did a run of jodpurs ( polo riding pants) for a customer, which used artificial suede on the inner knee pads. Biggest dude on the cutting floor (about 6' 4" & 275) could not rip it by hand, even with a notch already cut into the edge. Bear in mind, this was 1/16" thick faux leather, not some paper thin microsuede fabric.

That's a steal at $7, Tom! Good find!

FYI, for anyone else in the market, artificial suede is actually a good bit tougher than natural, and won't dry out with age. In a former life, I worked for a high-end garment manufacturer. We did a run of jodpurs ( polo riding pants) for a customer, which used artificial suede on the inner knee pads. Biggest dude on the cutting floor (about 6' 4" & 275) could not rip it by hand, even with a notch already cut into the edge. Bear in mind, this was 1/16" thick faux leather, not some paper thin microsuede fabric.

All I could find was that thin synthetic suede. The person listed this as 1/16" thick which is why I jumped on it. 

• Like 1

I would give up tom's left one for a good rain storm. .

I'd love a week of no rain so I could mow the lawn and do some yardwork. Last mowed 10 days ago after a night of light rain and a few hours of daylight and sun to dry it a bit. It's been raining 6 out of 7 days a week for the last month. 

I thought I was sick of the rain until we got back to typical St. Louis summer this week.  Now I'm missing the rain.  Let the rivers flood...I don't care.  Anything is better than this jungle air.

Bench is coming along nicely.  Pretty soon you'll be out of excuses and you'll have to build some furniture. :D

• Like 1