Please no, not another Roubo build thread

Knock knock... Who's there? Mortise. Mortise who? HOLY CRAP I'm glad these leg mortises are done.

0ff2ccb71f920f0ad2dd8a9732042d14.jpg

Some welcomed chisel work with my mortise chisels.

dd1d620c856dac85f40610fa7524f9a7.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Do you find your mortise chisel to be THAT much better for cleaning up mortises?

Do you find your mortise chisel to be THAT much better for cleaning up mortises?

Not really. It's just beefier than my bench chisels. My bench chisels pare much better. I can't really complain about the results though, Also, you get my leverage with the mortise chisels since they are longer.

That's kind of the consensus I have heard.

I would like to get a few but can't quite push myself over the edge..

I bought a 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 Narex mortise chisels. I figured they'd be handy for the build. I couldn't justify buying the LN mortise chisels to match my LN bench chisels. Bench chisels are one thing, and unless you're really doing your mortises by hand, the Narex are more than enough, and at 13-18 bucks a piece, it's a really small investment when it comes to the shop. 

I bought a 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 Narex mortise chisels. I figured they'd be handy for the build. I couldn't justify buying the LN mortise chisels to match my LN bench chisels. Bench chisels are one thing, and unless you're really doing your mortises by hand, the Narex are more than enough, and at 13-18 bucks a piece, it's a really small investment when it comes to the shop. 

I have a set and like them!  They've held up well.

Nothing too much to report for today. Just cleaned up the shoulders for the tenons on top of the legs. Maybe I'm just a crazy perfectionist, but I check my tenon shoulders with a square and .0025 feeler gauge to find any gaps, then I mark any high spots with a pencil, and clean them up.

Next up is nice long tenons. Then route the criss cross slot in the left front leg. Mill up and glue a chop for the leg vice. Gonna use 8/4 soft maple for the side closest to the bench, a piece of 4/4 curly maple for the outer facing side, then cherry laminated strips on each side

• Like 1