Please no, not another Roubo build thread

I measure the shaft of the screw with my calipers and drill that size pilot in hardwood, next size smaller in softwood. I buy quality hardened screws by the box or case. First thing I do when installing things is replace the factory screws with ones I trust.

I used brass screws for my dogs. I often have issues with getting screws into wood. It is woodworking 101 and I seem to fail often. Wax and a suitable pilot hole seem to help but the screw is already half way in before I remember the wax....

Nothing like using your dogs to work on your dogs.

I used brass screws for my dogs.

Yep, me too.  Can't overstate the importance of a properly-sized pilot hole.  People seem to be pretty blase about it but it's the same as fitting a mortise and tenon.  There's always a perfect fit.  Add a little wax and pre-thread with a steel screw.  I can't remember the last time I twisted a head off, even on a brass or zinc-plated poop screw.

Is that a dogged dog? :)

Eiffel Tower dog action. 

I just knocked out another 10 dog blanks so I have some extras. I cut the springs from the blanks and then run them through the drum sander to get to the 1/8" thickness. Minimal waste. 

Yep, me too.  Can't overstate the importance of a properly-sized pilot hole.  People seem to be pretty blase about it but it's the same as fitting a mortise and tenon.  There's always a perfect fit.  Add a little wax and pre-thread with a steel screw.  I can't remember the last time I twisted a head off, even on a brass or zinc-plated poop screw.

I never break screw heads. This is a first for me. I always wax or use a bit of soap on the tip of my screws to get them started. These screws I believe are just defective pieces of crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more rearranging done and tested out how well the setup works. Still not done, but the machine locations allow me to mill wood inside the shop without the door open. Sliced up a piece to glue up another leg. That's 3 legs done and 1 more left which might wait for the weekend. Got some stuff to do this week. But I do have a 3 day weekend so I might actually get the legs and subframes done within the next week. 

Ran the front slab over the jointer, which I don't care what push blocks you use is a difficult challenge. Grrriper, standard 5 dollar push blocks. What worked the best was my suede gloves and pulling and pushing at the same time.

Ran through the planer and brought it to 4 1/32" I hit the top with a card scraper to get down any little ridges from the planer.

Front slab is ready to get chopped to final length. I'll tackle this with the track saw, and some clever spacer clamping

f261e56cea7ce2c92cf3cbe47903778f.jpg

Tom - wondering why you left the top 1/32" over? I need to re-watch the video tonight and look at the plans, but IIRC, they said to take to 4". I might have missed something and thought I would ask if there's a good reason to stop at 4 1/32".

Thanks