Drum Sander

Chet

I don't have a drum sander but I am considering it.  I am curious though as to were it fits in the work flow.  What does it do that a surface planer (which I have) wouldn't.  I do know, I think, that you can surface end grain where you can't do that with a planer.  Other then that... 

==>fits in the work flow

Typically, after the planer...

Used to final thickness unruly stock, remove milling marks, sanding-back a trace coat, thickinssing very thin stock, flattening wide panels and a bunch more...

Stationary panel sanders are transformative – once you have one, you won’t quite understand how you did without it... I‘ve never dealt with drum sanders, but based on the feedback from WTO members, don’t get a cheap one... It appears to be yet another case where you get what you pay for... Now, if you happen to have a bit of capital going spare and a whole lot of floor space, we can talk about wide-belt sanders and stroke sanders – the species I’ve got experience with...

• Like 1

when turners use them its for segment turning.  each section of wood gets glued into rings and those rings need to be made perfectly flat to be glued together to make a segmented form for turning.  i have also used one when i was making a lamp that the base was a tiny bit off so it ended up rocking and no matter what i did i could not get it perfectly flat. so my buddy put the entire lamp through his belt sander and got it so it would quite rocking on me. 

I got one several months ago, and its really really helpful.  I use it on almost every project, probably the second most used behind the table saw.

On pretty much every project, once I get my boards cut to final dimensions, I run them through the DS with 220 grit just to get a head start on the final sanding.  There is still sanding to be done, but it gets everything close and I can go back and hit it with 180 on the ROS and easily remove any sanding lines from the DS.  It saves time in trying to run through 120, 150, then 180 grits.

On pic frames, I'll run them through after glue up to level out any differences in the miter joints.

But the biggest time saver is on end grain things.  I make a lot of end grain drink coasters, and the DS saves me hours of sanding.

I have a Jet 16-32, and am very happy with it; but have heard that the supermax is pretty much the utopia for small shops.

TripleH hit it on the head. After the planer.

It's nice to get a snipe free cut on anything... I use the hell out of my Supermax 19-38. Door rails and stiles, panels, and anything else that's wood...

Just a great thing to have. 

I've got a cheaper and older model that I use the piss out of. All final thicknessing is done on the ds, batching out multiply multiple small parts that would snipe badly are put through the ds.

The obvious end grain answer because it's awesome. I honestly use mine on every project, often multiple times.

Once mine finally craps out, I'll be picking up the supermax.