how do YOU work with walnut?

tcarswell

I always try to work with the sap wood. I like the color and grain. I often pick my boards to have some nice sap wood accents.

I cut out most knots but a few pin knots almost always get in there.

I'm paying $12 per BF for 4/4 S3S so I need to minimize my scrap.

WOW i would think wood is cheaper up there i pay $6.70 bf for FAS S3s walnut 4/4

WOW i would think wood is cheaper up there i pay $6.70 bf for FAS S3s walnut 4/4

Yeah, it amazes me too.

I guess it's a factor of the small market and cost of shipping added to the resort town where trophy homes abound. I've priced walnut in a couple/few hundred mile radius and it's about the same. Grand Junction, CO, Idaho Falls, ID and Salt Lake City, UT are all around $10 to 11.50 a BF.

Walnut is not indigenous to Dave's area, so there would be no geographical reason he would find it any cheaper.  On the contrary, as his prices suggest...it's higher, due in large part - presumably - to freight costs.  Walnut grows from the east coast throughout the midwest to about the mid-point of the country.

• Like 1

Walnut is not indigenous to Dave's area, so there would be no geographical reason he would find it any cheaper.  On the contrary, as his prices suggest...it's higher, due in large part - presumably - to freight costs.  Walnut grows from the east coast throughout the midwest to about the mid-point of the country.

Yep! It's indigenous here in Virginia, and it's almost on par with hard maple in price.

Walnut

4/4 FAS  (add 20% for 9 and wider boards)....................... $5.50

4/4 #1 common................................................................... $4.20

5/4 FAS  (add 20% for 9 and wider boards)....................... $6.20

5/4 #1 common................................................................... $4.40

6/4………………………………………………………..$6.25

8/4....................................................................................... $6.90

12/4………………………………………………………$9.00

I have a place where I can find nice wide boards with minimal or no sap. So that's rarely an issue for me. Unless a knot or other defect is really gnarly I try to stabilize it and include it.

This is from my last walnut project. Fresh off the planer. Either 5/4 or 6/4, I don't actually remember. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Stobes21
Added photos

I have a place where I can find nice wide boards with minimal or no sap. So that's rarely an issue for me. Unless a knot or other defect is really gnarly I try to stabilize it and include it.

This is from my last walnut project. Fresh off the planer. Either 5/4 or 6/4, I don't actually remember. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

And your place is where, exactly? B)

It's 7.50 to 8 a bd ft plus tax here in mid cal resort homes and all. They have those in Utah ?!

Oh yeah...they have them. All around the ski areas of Utah you will find some exquisite homes.

There are some trendy places that command high dollars anywhere you come from. Rural communities with character have become the go-to places for retirement homes. The quainter... the better.

Places like Alta/Brighton/Solitude, Park City, and Deer Valley in the ski areas are quite sought after. Then there are the "Canyonlands" areas where I would love to have a retreat. Places with high altitude and cool climes which are situated near warmer valleys are particularly desirable.

Edited by davewyo
grammar and spelling