$900 budget upgrade

Weeeeeell. Sounds like jointer/planer it is haha. Will look for the planet first and tag on the jointer maybe at Christmas. Come on grizzly and a discount coupon haha.

The planet should be pretty easy to find, you're on it. :D Getting a jointer and planer will be game changing. Getting the planer first will be almost useless since you will need to have a flat surface to reference before running through the planer Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I agree with others. I have found that I can build most things with a table saw, jointer, planer, and simple router tabletable. 

Easiest tools for me to live without are (in order)

Miter saw, dust collection, bandsaw

Andy, I thought the same about a bandsaw until I finally bought one. It safely takes a lot of work off of the ts, in addition to allowing you to do things a ts can't do period.

Andy, I thought the same about a bandsaw until I finally bought one. It safely takes a lot of work off of the ts, in addition to allowing you to do things a ts can't do period.

I have a 16" Jet bandsaw and I use it quite a bit so I don't disagree. My only point was that I could build most projects without a band saw (jig saw for curved cuts, handsaw and table saw for everything else).

It would be really tough for me to build projects without a table saw, jointer, and planer

I have a 16" Jet bandsaw and I use it quite a bit so I don't disagree. My only point was that I could build most projects without a band saw (jig saw for curved cuts, handsaw and table saw for everything else).

It would be really tough for me to build projects without a table saw, jointer, and planer

Funny I am seriously considering selling my table saw.  I almost never use it since I got my PM1500.  It sounds sacrilege but I could live without it.  I work out of a one car garage and it takes a lot of space.   The only thing I consistently use it for is dados and tenons.  The layout of my shop will work so much better without the table saw taking up so much room in the middle. 

Funny I am seriously considering selling my table saw.  I almost never use it since I got my PM1500.  It sounds sacrilege but I could live without it.  I work out of a one car garage and it takes a lot of space.   The only thing I consistently use it for is dados and tenons.  The layout of my shop will work so much better without the table saw taking up so much room in the middle. 

Just goes to show how many different ways there are to tackle a woodworking project. I have never had a band saw that was tuned well enough to match the quality of a table saw cut.

It would be like making the decision to give up either your chisels or your planes.  Or giving up either your shoes or your vehicle.  Or giving up either water or food.  Yes there's some overlap but they're two totally different animals with two totally unique sets of uses and strengths.  I don't know why people always look at them as either/or types of tools.  They both cut wood...after that the similarities pretty much end.  Lacking one or the other won't stop you dead in your tracks, but since they both exist, I see no reason not to own both.

But if you make me play the game...if I had a gun to my head, I'd probably have to keep the bandsaw and let the table saw go, simply because there is no reasonable alternative to resawing.  Everything that a table saw can do that a bandsaw can't do, there's a reasonable alternative for.  Crosscuts can be done with a miter saw or track saw...or even with a handsaw fairly quickly and can be cleaned up with a shooting board.  Joinery can be cut a million and one ways.  Dadoes and rabbets can be done with a router.

But resaw...there's only one reasonable way to do that, and it's with a bandsaw.

On the other hand, there is so much glue-ready joinery that can be done at the table saw.  Crisp rips, crosscuts and miters.  Add a crosscut sled and the table saw is hugely versatile.  I use both machines constantly on every project and if I was forced to live without one or the other I'd have a very strong urge to punch a baby.

• Like 2

It would be like making the decision to give up either your chisels or your planes.  Or giving up either your shoes or your vehicle.  Or giving up either water or food.  Yes there's some overlap but they're two totally different animals with two totally unique sets of uses and strengths.  I don't know why people always look at them as either/or types of tools.  They both cut wood...after that the similarities pretty much end.  

I don't think people generally look at them as either/or type tools.  Most people prefer to have both, full stop.  I think it is a question of priorities and the allocation of scarce resources (i.e. space and money).  Nearly everyone buys a table saw first, which I guess is sensible because a $600 tablesaw is probably a better machine than a $600 bandsaw.  

However, I do work in a limited space and I look at the footprint of my tablesaw and wonder if it is earning its keep.  Any cut I can do on either the tablesaw or bandsaw take to the bandsaw.  Rips, tapers, even some cross cuts all on the bandsaw.  It is quieter, safer and often faster.  I can get repeatable rip cuts with my 1/2" carbide tipped blade and clean the edges on the jointer or run them through the planer on edge.  Maybe it is a little faster on a tablesaw, but I typically clean up tablesaw rips cuts by hand or on the jointer anyhow.  

I guess I place enjoyment over efficiency, which is why I use my bandsaw more than my tablesaw and almost never use my router table.... if I had any hand eye coordination I'd just keep a bandsaw, jointer and planer and do everything else with hand tools.  But I have feet for hands, hands for feet, thumbs where most people have fingers and might be cross-eyed as well.    

Edited by Guest

Since your asking a question about where to invest the $900, there is doubt...

Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt*...   Buy more wood!

*Vastly under-appreciated movies for $100, Alex... For extra credit, who are the actors?

*Vastly under-appreciated movies for $100, Alex... For extra credit, who are the actors?

GREAT movie.  It's DeNiro who says it....I don't know the woman's name but she's in Californication too.

What is the color of the boathouse at Hereford????

I ambushed you with a cup of coffee!

• Like 1

Getting a jointer and planer will be game changing. Getting the planer first will be almost useless since you will need to have a flat surface to reference before running through the planer Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Not sure I agree about the planer being useless without the jointer.  It all depends on your skills/tolerance for using hand planes.  You can mill one side of a board by hand flat enough to run it through the planer, then flip it over and run the other side through, and get good results.  It's a lot less work than surfacing both sides flat and parallel using only hand planes.  I'm not the type of person who enjoys milling lumber by hand, but I've been using this method for about a year now since my jointer is broken and I've been too lazy to fix it, and it's worked for me.  If hand planes aren't an option, then I would agree that a planer isn't much use without a jointer. 

Ronin. Easily one of my favorites.

While you CAN use a hybrid approach to milling, getting the boards flatish with handplanes, then running them through the planer. I use that method quite frequently as I have a 6" jointer, and have been using very wide pieces lately.

You really have two options for this. Handplanes, or a router sled. Either will be OK for a while, but will get old. Besides, are you going to flatten a 5' long board that's 5" wide on your wobbly bench by hand? No, you aren't. Get a jointer, and save your self unnecessary work. It's for the better of mankind.

FWIW, I bought an old 6" powermatic jointer on CL for well under $400. Plenty of room left over for a nice planer. 

Not sure I agree about the planer being useless without the jointer.  It all depends on your skills/tolerance for using hand planes.  You can mill one side of a board by hand flat enough to run it through the planer, then flip it over and run the other side through, and get good results.  It's a lot less work than surfacing both sides flat and parallel using only hand planes.  I'm not the type of person who enjoys milling lumber by hand, but I've been using this method for about a year now since my jointer is broken and I've been too lazy to fix it, and it's worked for me.  If hand planes aren't an option, then I would agree that a planer isn't much use without a jointer. 

While yes, you could plane one side by hand, but that would be such a miserable task. I like hand tools for fine work. Milling boards, not so much. To really get the most out of a planer, a jointer is a must in my opinion, and I'm sure almost everyone else here would agree. 

While yes, you could plane one side by hand, but that would be such a miserable task. I like hand tools for fine work. Milling boards, not so much. To really get the most out of a planer, a jointer is a must in my opinion, and I'm sure almost everyone else here would agree. 

Agreed.  My jointer broke when I was about halfway through milling lumber for the top of my Roubo.  Finishing that using hybrid milling was pretty miserable (I used all 4/4 lumber because I got it cheap, so it was a lot of boards).  On subsequent projects, where there hasn't been nearly as much wood involved, hybrid milling hasn't been too bad.  I guess it all depends.  For me, it would all come down to money.  A good jointer is going to eat up most if not all of the $900.  A good lunch box planer will leave you with plenty left over for other things, such as a couple LV or LN hand planes.  That would be a tough call for me.  (Un)fortunately, I don't have to worry about it, because I don't have $900 to spend on tools.

Planer first, then jointer.  You can hand plane OR make a sled.

Here's the sled to use your planer as a jointer.  It has the advantage of doing wide boards as well.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/video/a-planer-sled-for-milling-lumber.aspx

Nobody is saying you can't. However, with a $900 budget you can get a jointer and a planer.

Definitely dust collection - top of the list, choose from the following

• a cyclone extractor (wish I had bought one of them first of all)
  • a shop vac
  • a dust deputy for the shop vac.
  • a Trend Airshield Pro - they are superb and keep all the crap out of your lungs.
  • an air cleaner to hang from the ceiling,
  • a shop broom,
  • a hand brush or two
  • and a dust pan to collect it all in.
  • plenty of strong plastic bags to take it all to the dump

Oh and then buy some tools :D