G&G Blanket Chest

chrisphr

I think thats a great combo. Go with what has worked well in the past. I am using that same finish combo on the chest of drawers.

What lacquer are you thinking of using?

Last time I used Qualalaqc because it was the only spray lacquer I could find (Amazon). I saw a YouTube video that shows how to mix brushing lacquer so you can spray it (mostly thin it with acetone) so I might try that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

All the plugs are done. Marc's estimate of a day and a half is about right! Applied 3 coats of Danish oil yesterday and today, but I'm not going to post a picture until I spray the lacquer, hopefully next week. It is looking good but it is a little splotchy. From what I read somewhere on the interwebs cherry sometimes does look splotchy at first but evens out as it darkens with time. 68de847e7df4393811c7dbd735d2075a.jpg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Quick finishing question: Marc uses a 4000 grit sanding pad to buff the final finish and makes the point that 4000 won't change the sheen. He went with a semi gloss finish and I'm going with satin... Is 4000 still the right choice or should I go with a lower grit to maintain satin? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 2000 and even 1000 on satin ARS.  The 1000 works better and faster to knock down dust nibs and to smooth the finish for the obvious reasons but I do think it tends to knock the sheen down just a bit.  I prefer a fairly matte finish though so it doesn't bother me.  You should start with 2000 just to be safe (and I think that's what Marc recommends on satin) but it will take slightly longer to smooth things out.

Very nice, looking forward to seeing the final pic.

Will be very soon. Unfortunately upon closer inspection I got a little blushing with my last coat of lacquer so I've got a little more spray work to do before allowing it to cure and final buffing. Minor setback but still oh so close to finishing this project! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Chris and you nailed the finish.

Now pick up your toys and fold that laundry!

Thanks! Ha, "pick up you toys and fold the laundry..." That's how every woodworking project ends!

With two 5yos and a 4yo running around our house we constantly have toys and laundry scattered around (is it just my kids that randomly strip naked?!?!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk