Nicholson Bench

Chet

I am using Poplar most of the benches like this that I have read about have been made out of Southern Yellow Pine, which I can't get or Doug Fir and most of what I see of that around here was going to be more work then money saved.  The bench will be 21 inches wide and 6 ft long.

2 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

Are you planning on doing a laminated top like the Roubo style?

I am doing more of the slab style top that you normally see on the Nicholsons.  I am using stock that milled down to 1 1/2 inches, but the whole area between the outside of the legs will be twice as thick or 3 inches.  I am also doing this to the aprons.  It will give the bench more mass and the dogs and holdfast will work better.

This is awesome Chet! I look forward to following this. Refreshing to see a bench build other than the roubo. Dont get me wrong, I like the roubo and the great journals but im stoked to see a different design.

How come you didnt use your new laj to flatten one side and then pass through the planer?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

How come you didnt use your new laj to flatten one side and then pass through the planer?

It's in the mail, I think it is supposed to be here Thursday.  But I wanted to get started on this, its been a while since I have been in the shop.  I was also wondering if trying to learn on something of this size was wise.  I am going to have to do some flattening on the top.

It's in the mail, I think it is supposed to be here Thursday.  But I wanted to get started on this, its been a while since I have been in the shop.  I was also wondering if trying to learn on something of this size was wise.  I am going to have to do some flaring on the top.

I see. I thought you had already received it, my bad.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys.  Were as there are no condor tails or Benchcrafted hardware involved, it has some small challenges.  Working with 8/4 stock 11 inches wide to start with and milling it with out a 12 inch jointer:P you can work up a bit of a sweat.  But it is going well and I am enjoying it.  

• Like 2

When I measured up the cut list it was right a 90 board feet with everything milled to final size.  I had purchased 125 BD FT and just for the fun of it I was going to calculate what is left just to see how it all works out.  I have emptied the DC once with it being half full again already.

Chet, down here, our poplar is a greenish color. I saw some in Louisiana that had some neat looking brown streaks in it. I guess it's different per area? Do you have pics of yours? Hell, what am I asking, you already have. That looks like the stuff from LA. Great looking.

There is actually some green and brown in the batch that i picked up.  Unfortunately the best two pieces to make up the top was one of each.  I wasn't really happy about how it worked out buuuut it is a work bench  not a dining room table. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

There is actually some green and brown in the batch that i picked up.  Unfortunately the best two pieces to make up the top was one of each.  I wasn't really happy about how it worked out buuuut it is a work bench  not a dining room table. Lol.

Totally agree! I have a work bench and not a show bench but yours looks like it will be both!