Nicholson Bench

Chet

Looks great chet. Poplar seems like a good choice. I have lots laying around and it seems relatively stable compared to other softer species.

How do you like that crochet setup? Seems like a nice cheap alternative for edge work.

Also, are the dog-holes on the benchtop just for use with holdfasts or some other work holding?

Great bench thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Nice job Chet!  You tore through that thing.  Ignore the "done in a weekend" claims.  That's BS for any project that size.  Takes me a whole weekend to turn a bowl. LOL

Bench looks great man.

Crap!  Thanks for the reminder, I put a blank on the lath a week ago and forgot about it..  

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

1 hour ago, sheperd80 said:

How do you like that crochet setup? Seems like a nice cheap alternative for edge work.

Also, are the dog-holes on the benchtop just for use with holdfasts or some other work holding?

For the little time I have spent with the crochet, I like it.  The holes that I have now are basically for holdfasts.  I am going to add another row on the front to use with the Veritas inset vise http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=66819&cat=51&ap=1   This will go on the opposite end from the crochet like a tail or wagon vise.

Using the crochet and a holdfast.  If you have your work up against the crochet and then any of the 3 holdfast holes just to the left of the crochet, you can hold work in the range of about 4 inches down to 1 1/2 inch.  If you go to the first hole to the left of those you are in the 5 to 8 inches range.  I would think that I will want to use cauls some of the time with a holdfast on the apron because you will probably have to set the holdfast a little firmer and wouldn't want to mar the project.  

I am actually looking forward to figuring out all the hold down methods with this bench.  I did find a cheat sheet in a magazine article to get me started.

Never having done any serious work with a hand plane until yesterday when I flattened to top, I found I was pretty comfortable going either way but when I actually put something in the crochet to work on the edge it definitely felt going to the right was better for me.

42 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Me too.  Right hand on tote.

Eric, how about rasps? do you get the right or left handed ones?

Lefty rasps.  Saw lefty, chisel lefty (that is, mallet righty), pare lefty.

Throw lefty, bat righty.

Shoot a pistol lefty, shoot a rifle righty.

The list of weird goes on and on.

What hand do you wipe your butt with? That's what truly determines which is your dominant hand lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Here is a good demonstration of viceless workholding:

Hey Ross.... When you get to the end of the Mike Siemsen video on viseless woodworking, several boxes pop up.... There's one You should put your earphones on and get ready to enjoy the wood  Knock on it young'un   It's the video about the retirement bench built for a guy named Carl.   

Just as an after thought, if any body is interested in doing a bench in some what the same design.  The total cost for this was $418.  125 bd. ft. of poplar at @ $2.57 a bd. ft. and the rest was hardware.  Oh and $2.94 fee we pay on lumber because of prop 65. :blink:

• 7 months later...

Hi Chet - As I get into more hand tool work I am finding I really need a bench.  In my research the Nicholson style really appeals to me for how quick you can put one together.  I would like a roubo style someday, but don't want to spend a month or more building one right now.

Just curious how you are liking yours.  Anything you would do different?  Did you end up adding a vise to it?  I am looking at that veritas inset vice as well.

I am real happy with the bench so far.  I did add the Veritas inset vise an I am real happy with that.  I am giving some thought to adding a leg vise down the road, I have a project that I am starting that will add a lot of input to that decision.