Socket organizer

Dnorris1369

• 2 weeks later...
On February 3, 2016 at 0:46 PM, Immortan D said:

Yeah, if your name is Brendon and you're a Snap-on sucker LOL

There are cheaper, good quality alternatives out there, including Armstrong or SK Tools to name a few.

Im also a tech. There may be cheaper alternatives to snap on sockets, but I pay the prices for convenience. I know every Friday my tool dealer will be there to replace anything that may be broken. It's VERY rare for me to break a snap on hand tool. Plus there is more than strength that goes into it. People think a #2 Phillips screwdriver is all the same. But none of them will grip a rusted Philips screw like a snap on screw driver does. It's all the specialty tools that I am having a hard time spending money on as I get older, when I can get them 60-70% cheaper from tool-topia.com

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I don't think I even own any 12 point sockets.

The only 12 point sockets I own are specialty sockets for rebuilding Toyota engines. I don't exactly understand the purpose of them for general use.

I hung around airports a lot when I was younger.  Three things that I remember the A&P guys were not allowed to have in their toolboxes were:  automatic center punches, adjustable wrenches, and 12 point anything.

I've had on the dashboard of my truck for a couple of years some broken SnapOn tools waiting to catch a truck somewhere.  A #2 Phillips with a broken edge (broke the first time I used it), a ratcheting screwdriver that skips, and a long 3/8" ratchet that the direction lever broke off of.  Maybe I should send them to you Brendon with return postage. 

On February 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Chestnut said:

I never understood why mechanics had so many tools, I'm saying this jokingly.

In all honesty though i did a full engine rebuild on my pickup and used 8mm 10mm 13mm 17mm & 19mm, a dial gauge, and piston ring compressor. Oh yeah and a BIG hammer, some times you have to fix things jezza style.

Right, I replaced the clutch in my Toyota. I think I used three wenches, 10-12-14mm. I get it though different cars, different sizes. But I can't fault a guy for having a lot of tools...

On 2/13/2016 at 5:26 AM, Tom King said:

I hung around airports a lot when I was younger.  Three things that I remember the A&P guys were not allowed to have in their toolboxes were:  automatic center punches, adjustable wrenches, and 12 point anything.

I've had on the dashboard of my truck for a couple of years some broken SnapOn tools waiting to catch a truck somewhere.  A #2 Phillips with a broken edge (broke the first time I used it), a ratcheting screwdriver that skips, and a long 3/8" ratchet that the direction lever broke off of.  Maybe I should send them to you Brendon with return postage. 

Tom, if you go onto snap on website,  there is a dealer locator with phone numbers and email. If there's one close to you,  shoot them an email asking their schedule around you.

They normally rebuild ratchets on site, replace screwdriver shanks on site.

Keep in mind, a six pack thank you usually makes it worth it for them to stop by if you don't plan to spend more money on the truck. 

13 hours ago, Derek said:

Right, I replaced the clutch in my Toyota. I think I used three wenches, 10-12-14mm. I get it though different cars, different sizes. But I can't fault a guy for having a lot of tools...

I have to replace Tacoma, Tundra & Sequoia frames. 95% of the entire truck is taken apart with 10,12,14 & 17 mm lol

D2432B69-E1D8-4442-9728-4AA48B7102D5_zps

I love the socket organizer that I have. It holds all my short and long 1/2" drive sockets, 3/8" drive sockets and 1/4 sockets. You can switch them to lock them in place if you need to carry the entire thing around.

87ce0c31-63b6-46eb-9bb3-55c9f5ccb787_zps

11 hours ago, Pwalter5110 said:

I have to replace Tacoma, Tundra & Sequoia frames. 95% of the entire truck is taken apart with 10,12,14 & 17 mm lol.

You replace frames? That's like tearing the entire vehicle apart and putting it back together. Sorry not Like tearing it apart that's totally tearing the entire thing apart. How is that cost effective? Who the heck just has spare frames for new vehicles laying around?

I got a piece of sheet metal, went to harbor freight and grabbed a bunch of the cheap socket rails and riveted them to the sheet metal. I was in a hurry so I just sharpie'd the sizes on the metal real quick assuming I'd come back and label it in a nicer way. Never have and it's been fine.    Since then I've added a few sets sitting on short rails and the 1/2" set in the front. I'll probably expand my sheet metal system one of these days if I need more room. 

All in all it works pretty well, the only problem is you can't just grab say a metric 3/8" set and walk away with it. But like has been pointed out, most projects only need a few sizes so it's not really that big of a deal to me. 

IMG_1989 copy.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

You replace frames? That's like tearing the entire vehicle apart and putting it back together. Sorry not Like tearing it apart that's totally tearing the entire thing apart. How is that cost effective? Who the heck just has spare frames for new vehicles laying around?

I've done close to 100 Toyota frames. In this part of the country, we use rock salt to melt the snow. The salt corrodes Toyota frames from 01-08 Tacomas, 01-04 Tundras and sequoias. Toyota covers them under warranty. There were earlier frames, I believe 98-01 Tacomas that rusted out, and Toyota was buying them back at 150% of kelly blue book value. Toyota bought Dana when they were going bankrupt from the frame recall and found it was cheaper to have dealerships replacing frames, than to buy the vehicles off the customer. Parts and labor to replace a frame is around $13,000. All I know is, somebody made a HUGE mistake LOL The funny part is, the frames built in Japan never rusted out, only the frames built by Dana (The same Dana that makes a ton of Ford parts.) Toyota claims that the EPA told them they couldn't use an anti rust ingredient when they dipped the frames because it wasn't environmentally friendly.

8 hours ago, kbj said:

I got a piece of sheet metal, went to harbor freight and grabbed a bunch of the cheap socket rails and riveted them to the sheet metal. I was in a hurry so I just sharpie'd the sizes on the metal real quick assuming I'd come back and label it in a nicer way. Never have and it's been fine.    Since then I've added a few sets sitting on short rails and the 1/2" set in the front. I'll probably expand my sheet metal system one of these days if I need more room. 

All in all it works pretty well, the only problem is you can't just grab say a metric 3/8" set and walk away with it. But like has been pointed out, most projects only need a few sizes so it's not really that big of a deal to me. 

IMG_1989 copy.jpg

I took all of my standard sockets home years ago. You have a nice set up! The snap on man loves you!

23 hours ago, kbj said:

IMG_1989 copy.jpg

I like your setup from an aesthetic view. 

Before I start a job,  I grab the few sets I'll need and put them in my roller cart so I don't have to run back and forth to the main box. 

When I was in a shop,  I had two lifts I'd be working simultaneously. One lift may be waiting on parts while the other was getting worked on. It's a time suck to walk back and forth to grab individual tools. 

4 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I like your setup from an aesthetic view. 

Before I start a job,  I grab the few sets I'll need and put them in my roller cart so I don't have to run back and forth to the main box. 

When I was in a shop,  I had two lifts I'd be working simultaneously. One lift may be waiting on parts while the other was getting worked on. It's a time suck to walk back and forth to grab individual tools. 

I agree on the time suck of going back and forth. When I had a shop we did bikes and the lift was right in front of my box so it really was as close as anything else. Now that it's at home, it is a little annoying walking back and forth. But like mentioned, cars seemed to be put together with 4 sizes of bolts these days so it's not terrible.  If I was in a shop working multiple lifts I'd probably want something I could grab a set and go.  I like posts like this, you can see different solutions then put one together that works for you. 

14 hours ago, Pwalter5110 said:

I've done close to 100 Toyota frames. In this part of the country, we use rock salt to melt the snow. The salt corrodes Toyota frames from 01-08 Tacomas, 01-04 Tundras and sequoias. Toyota covers them under warranty. There were earlier frames, I believe 98-01 Tacomas that rusted out, and Toyota was buying them back at 150% of kelly blue book value. Toyota bought Dana when they were going bankrupt from the frame recall and found it was cheaper to have dealerships replacing frames, than to buy the vehicles off the customer. Parts and labor to replace a frame is around $13,000. All I know is, somebody made a HUGE mistake LOL The funny part is, the frames built in Japan never rusted out, only the frames built by Dana (The same Dana that makes a ton of Ford parts.) Toyota claims that the EPA told them they couldn't use an anti rust ingredient when they dipped the frames because it wasn't environmentally friendly.

I took all of my standard sockets home years ago. You have a nice set up! The snap on man loves you!

Thanks! It's been many years of tool buying.  It doesn't hurt as bad little by little.   Lately it's been the Festool Dealer that loves me. ;)