Cherry platform bed with storage

estesbubba

2 hours ago, Janello said:

Is your tear out in a hidden area? I would waste out the area with a router and glue a cherry block in proud of each surface then plane it flush.

The top rail profile is super nice, Mike. 

It is on the top back of the headboard so pretty hidden. What type of bit would you use - chamfer?

Same 1/2" spiral bit you used for your roubo, or 1/4 upcut if you have one. Hog out just enough to remove the defect, chisel up the corners square and glue up a small block proud, then flush up with a block plane. Back there no one will ever see it and it will look better than epoxy. You can grain match the best you can with an offcut.

For that tearout...I'd be inclined to route out and square up a little notch and glue in a piece of scrap.  Filler can't fix that.  Real wood repairs are much better anyway.  Filler is crap.

Next time don't route uphill. :)

Edit: I missed John's posts on page two...yeah, that's what I'd do.

• 2 weeks later...

After fun with the drum sander the past week, it's back in business and I got back on the bed today. First was milling the legs to 3" square and cutting to length. 3 1/2" just looked too beefy and the cabinet will bear the weight of the bed and not the headboard and footboard. I also cut the bottom rails to length using the track saw since they were pretty long for the table saw. I'm getting closer to getting a miter saw. 

70FD3498-16B5-4E08-B0F2-50212D798D31_zps

I didn't realize how much wood the panels would take until I started cutting boards for them. Yup, 13 boards just for the panels. Using plywood would have been a hell of a lot easier but solid just feels better. 

031E6AA3-F8DE-4E60-A345-0092DEDF1926_zps

I milled them to 5/8" thick and glued into 4 sections. Tomorrow I'll glue both halves so I end up with 2 big boards which will end up as the 6 panels. I'm very happy that my drum sander is working again as these would suck to sand with the ROS. 

51204EDE-ACB0-4136-9FAE-B29F4B1AC94E_zps

Ran the heater in the shop in the morning then opened the windows in the afternoon as we hit 60 for 3 days in a row. Played a lot of ball with the dogs, cleaned the inside of the vehicles, and grilled out so it was a great day. Didn't sit down to relax until just now. 

• Like 1

Looking good, Mike. Have you thought about putting a slight crown on the top of the posts? Not sure if it would add or detract to the look, just a thought since it's going to be somewhat sharp leaving it square. I always hit my leg on the sharp post of my bed footboard when passing by it and cuss it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Janello said:

Looking good, Mike. Have you thought about putting a slight crown on the top of the posts? Not sure if it would add or detract to the look, just a thought since it's going to be somewhat sharp leaving it square. I always hit my leg on the sharp post of my bed footboard when passing by it and cuss it.

I'm going to put a curve on the top of the legs. 

Headboard.thumb.png.b9987c4b4989e3793180

11 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Or even just a chamfer all the way around.

I'm planning on a small chamfer on the legs and possibly the rails. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Hey Mike !! I was just thinking about this the other day and was wondering where you were. Glad you got some shop time and some time to give us an update. Bed is looking great buddy !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

With our small acreage when spring hits there is always a bunch of stuff to do. You get a new place with an awesome shop yet?

With our small acreage when spring hits there is always a bunch of stuff to do. You get a new place with an awesome shop yet?

Thanks for asking Mike ! Market is still pretty dead here. Two visits so far, no interest from either. We aren't desperate to move so if it doesn't sell by the end of the summer we will take it off the market.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk