Cherry platform bed with storage

estesbubba

Whats the location of the tearout?  Depending on the "show" factor I would cut out a notch, glue in an oversized piece of similar color and grain and mill back down.  If the tearout was on an arc you can help avoid this by always routing downhill.  For template routing I tend toward top/bottom bearing bits to serve this purpose.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Wow that cherry looks great!. The more and more i see cherry furniture pieces the more i start thinking "walnut move over i like cherry better now".

Different beasts completely.  Cherry I put into the blondes category.  By segregation, I get a lot of favorites

Well sanding the headboard and footboard was no fun and took over 5 hours. Good thing I spread it over several evenings and cranked some tunes through the headphones. Since the panels are 5/8" thick space balls weren't going to work so I used 1/2" backer rod which compresses very thin. 

FFD932F4-B7C4-4F9F-9BE2-610082553701_zps

Last night I went through a dry run of assembling and clamping and it couldn't have gone smoother. Since the Dominoes are already glued into the rails and dividers it cuts the assembly time quite a bit. So I decided to suck it up and glue and assemble the footboard. Well the top rail decided to be a pain when it counted as the panels kept shifting out of the dados, the right Domino swelled like crap and didn't want to go in, then the top rail popped out of the left divider and the right side of the top rail hit the concrete (more on this later). Anyway no time to panic as the glue timer had started and I had to get it assembled and everything worked out in the end.

D5536051-2A29-4415-B5DD-99ACBBEFF309_zps

40 hours into these and it feels good to have one finally assembled. 

84CFBFFD-8FA6-488A-8772-3AD6949EAFCA_zps

Still some sanding left on the curves but I think the small chamfer adds a lot to the look. 

FBFC691F-EFAC-4484-8AA5-2F8FE386C62A_zps

Now to the errors during assembly. Since it took longer than I wanted I didn't mess with boards under the clamps so there are some marks. These will clean up by steaming with an iron. The dent on the bottom of the rail is another story. I can try using an iron but think it's too big. Any other ideas? My wife says leave it as it's character and looking at it when standing will be hard to see.

B13F9E49-80E7-4BDE-8C94-EED2D66644E2_zps

I will be spraying these and might do it this weekend. I'm going with a coat of garnet shellac followed by satin waterborne poly. If I leave these standing on the floor with no support the HVLP won't blow them over will it? Guess I could do a test without any finish in the cup. The left test board is garnet shellac plus waterborne and the right is Minwax wipe on poly. 

739D68E2-A073-4384-B4EC-F22632A3EA06_zps

• Like 1

A steam iron and a damp piece of paper towel can recover some surprisingly deep dents.  After all that work I wouldn't take a chance on the thing standing on its own while finishing.  Screw a block to the bottom of each foot and grab it with a parallel clamp to create a sort of outrigger.  The headboard starting to fall over during finishing is all it would take to really set you back.

• Like 2