Cherry platform bed with storage

estesbubba

• 2 months later...

We've camped 43 nights this year and the bed is moving slower than the DMV line. My original plans were to do dovetailed drawers but we just want this thing done so it's baltic birch and dominos. I will say that the drawers turned out dead-on and went quickly. I have never used the Domino for drawers and watched a couple of YouTube videos and was surprised that they did the sides on the 2nd width. I did that and it worked out great, and with a 1/2" bottom glued in and 3/4" sides, these drawers are solid. 

I have never used under drawer slides and was worried about getting all the dimensions correct for the drawers. Well after cutting the 2 sheets down with the track saw I realized that I made a mistake so the grain on the side runs vertical instead of horizontal. Since it's plywood it doesn't matter for movement and since it's birch won't be real noticeable, but I'm not buying 2 more 4x8 sheets of BB plywood to fix it - just part of learning!

Anyway I can see the end and just want this project done. 

Since Photobucket is sucking tonight I'll try Google Photos again...

UBZ09HYlh9dqZ0T-LDWp8A2AzHZkLSDw7W8ijMl2

-lGUYluhomQ6bmfURe9VTAD8S1-MHydNegZn1Tqr

Ignore the drawer side grain direction :)

lP0jC4-GYLtyLl63oE9PyxSA44jv7TBs73dTh3dg

LvlULA6P95NajSajxO6XeHysxnd73OsjzPPT3RFj

wgB24aN929ocK9b_nPx9jy6xakxKMLAN3rnxBzRt

First time trying a YouTube video so we'll see if it works. The Blumotion soft close drawer slides are so smooth!

9 minutes ago, Eric. said:

None of your pics are showing for me, Mike.  If you're hosting with google, that's probably why.  We were having issues with that a few months back.  I do see the video.

Photobucket's site was having problems for me last night but is fine now. Nothing exciting - just a ton of plywood. 

7CA14F5E-16A9-4994-A37E-89F1ED6243F4_zps

728756D9-52B1-443F-A242-03E83942B579_zps

4738E885-095A-4E92-A532-866C45A6EA17_zps

94E1A72B-FE51-4B92-A9B5-5318246A527A_zps

0A96E6F9-53B9-43BE-BA38-EF79BFE72588_zps

I know the frustration of the "DMV Line" speed of progress that hits us sometimes.  Despite that, this piece is looking outstanding.  The chamfer detail at the top of the posts is dead-on. 

I also love that you are letting the cherry be cherry.  That is; really showing the material and not using only boring straight grained material. That homogeneous look is fine for commercial furniture stores but, when you are building it custom, let it shine.

I also see the video but, not the latest pics.

• Like 1

Looks good Mike.

I wish the Domino has a smaller width than 2nd width...like 1-1/2 width or 1-1/4 width.  It's a handy feature but jeez if you need that much wiggle room you have some pretty terrible pencil marking skills.  It gives you like almost an extra quarter inch on each side...how about a setting that gives you more like 1/16"?  Or can you do that and I just don't know how?

Yeah @Eric. I hear you that the 2nd setting should be just a little wider and I have no idea when you would use the 3rd unless you've made custom dominos. The dominos fit so tight that if you have one a hair off the joint won't go together. When this happens I take the edges off the dominos with the edge sander. 

For drawers doing all the sides with the 2nd setting worked great and gluing the bottom in makes them plenty strong. The 2nd setting made getting the bottom in easy then I just tapped the sides to get flush with the top.

The more I use the Domino the more I love it. 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Nice. What sprayer are you using? Do you like it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fuji mini mite 4 and I love it. I also have the 3M PPS which is expensive for what you get but has a lot of benefits.

46 minutes ago, mat60 said:

You did a nice job spraying that and it looks great.

Thanks Mat!

• Like 1