Cherry platform bed with storage

estesbubba

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, estesbubba said:

Garnet shellac followed by satin water-based poly. The shellac warms up the finish and really gives nice depth

I just finished re-reading this thread, and I am at a loss for words, the bed is stunning!  Mike, did you use a 2lb cut on the shellac? More than 1 coat?  I want to use this on my built in, thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I just finished re-reading this thread, and I am at a loss for words, the bed is stunning!  Mike, did you use a 2lb cut on the shellac? More than 1 coat?  I want to use this on my built in, thanks.

Thanks for the compliments. It is a 2# cut of DEWAXED garnett shellac and only one coat followed by water-based satin poly all sprayed with a 1.0mm tip. With the shellac you have to move a little faster because it's thin. After spraying the shellac and it's dry I lightly sand with 600 by hand (no block) to knock down any raised grain. Don't try to get it completely smooth here because you don't want to remove much shellac. I sand with 320/400 between topcoats and 600 before the final coat. 

The left board is the bed finish and right board Minwax wipe-on satin poly. These boards are close to a year old now and the shellac gives nice depth and warmth whereas the poly still has pink tones. It's subjective which finish is better but my wife and I both love the bed finish in the room which even the final DSLR pics I took don't fully show. 

IMG_1994.JPG

Beautiful job on the bed! Cherry is my favorite wood and especially so when it's curly! You are a very talented woodworker!

I really liked the video of you spraying the headboard - never having used a sprayer myself. It was very educational. Thank you for posting your project!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm lukewarm about the nightstands but that headboard is drop-dead gorgeous, Mike.

Thanks for the compliments and I feel the same way about the nightstands. With them having to be floating because of the front platform drawers I couldn't come up with any great ideas and the wife's Pinterest won. The pictures make them look bigger and they're pretty small to the naked eye next to the bed. 

Good news is they didn't take much time and if I replace them down the road no biggie.

• Like 1

Eric that was exactly where I was stumped was trying to make a box match the bed. I thought about giving them backs that match the top headboard profile but though that might be too much especially since I plan on doing that with the dresser mirror when that project comes. 

They are mounted using French cleats which hopefully will be fine unless someone tries to sit on one to tie their shoes. 

• Like 1