New toy!

Chestnut

Well i bought a Forrest WW II stopped in at acme to see if they stocked it. Salesman told me it'd be faster to order it online then to have the store ship it. I asked them about the paint chipping and he told me it was very uncommon for them to get that complaint about Powermatic tools and told me to call them about it.

I also have a Freud combination 10" full kerf blade on the way, going to use that one for crosscut sled and thin stock ripping.

Thanks for the help guys and for the input.

• 1 month later...

Been going back and forth with powermatic support via email and their warranty seems to be a bunch of bogus BS. They won't cover the paint chipping and discoloration because I waited too long to call. Lets never mind that I'm only 56 days into the 90 days of parts and consumable warranty period. I don't really know what to say other than $23 + shipping for paint that they offered seems steep. I also feel they should throw a can in with every tool they sell but what do i know about good business, i only know how to make people happy.

I'll be personally recommending Grizzly from now on for table saws at least.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Been going back and forth with powermatic support via email and their warranty seems to be a bunch of bogus BS. They won't cover the paint chipping and discoloration because I waited too long to call. Lets never mind that I'm only 56 days into the 90 days of parts and consumable warranty period. I don't really know what to say other than $23 + shipping for paint that they offered seems steep. I also feel they should throw a can in with every tool they sell but what do i know about good business, i only know how to make people happy.

I'll be personally recommending Grizzly from now on for table saws at least.

That sucks man. I had called PM about my planer when i received it and wasnt overly impressed. 

There is another option to recommend besides Grizzly for tablesaws, its called sawstop. Check them out, some might say a bit of a step up from grizzly... :)

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

That sucks man. I had called PM about my planer when i received it and wasnt overly impressed. 

There is another option to recommend besides Grizzly for tablesaws, its called sawstop. Check them out, some might say a bit of a step up from grizzly... :)

Each brand seems to have something that is off from factory. I've seen a fair few complaints about all brands at least with griz you don't pay an arm and a leg ... only fingers :D.

That would seriously piss in my Wheaties.. I agree with Shane, no reason they cant include a small bit of touch up paint with each tool.  Snap-On includes 4oz of paint from the same batch with every tool box down to the basic $200 add ons..  4oz is a lot for a touch up but still. 

They're looking more like a "the turd brown standard" right about now 

While we're piling on Powermatic... When I was shopping for a table saw I was at the local Powermatic dealer. I had a question that the sales guy couldn't answer, so he called the head office. A few minutes later he comes back looking nonplussed & says "man, what a bitch". I figured if they treated their dealers that badly they wouldn't treat a customer any better.

So I bought a SawStop.

36 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

at least with griz you don't pay an arm and a leg ... only fingers :D.

What you save in dollars you pay for in frustration.  Take my word for it.

It sucks that your expensive PM came with chipped paint...but let's face it, it's just chipped paint.  I bet it runs well for years to come.  Buy Grizzly tools only when you absolutely cannot afford anything else.  Take my word for it.

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

What you save in dollars you pay for in frustration.  Take my word for it.

It sucks that your expensive PM came with chipped paint...but let's face it, it's just chipped paint.  I bet it runs well for years to come.  Buy Grizzly tools only when you absolutely cannot afford anything else.  Take my word for it.

Stop bringing logic and good points into a frustrated irrational complaint :D

10 minutes ago, drzaius said:

While we're piling on Powermatic... When I was shopping for a table saw I was at the local Powermatic dealer. I had a question that the sales guy couldn't answer, so he called the head office. A few minutes later he comes back looking nonplussed & says "man, what a bitch". I figured if they treated their dealers that badly they wouldn't treat a customer any better.

So I bought a SawStop.

I looked at sawstop and strongly considered them but the leg up in cost over the PM would have pushed me into PM2000 territory. I also didn't like that they gave you a cheaper fence with the 30" models on the PCS saws.

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I purposely scratched both my PM1500 and PM jointer when uncrating them.  Its my way of marking territory and any factory scratches seem small in comparison.  Thats my story and I am sticking to it :).  Like Eric said, it is a machine not a work of art.  If I stood around counting the chips on the hood of my two year old automobile I am sure I'd stab myself.  

It's less of a complaint about the paint and more of a complaint about the service putting roadblocks on a warranty claim that they don't outline in their policy. If they had in there "paint coverage is only 30 days" I'd say, shoot you got me i guess poo poo on me for being busy, but it's not. Consumable and parts are covered for 90 days and it's only been 56. There is nothing else outlined that i could find on their warranty page that states anything shorter.

It's like saying the bumper to bumper warranty is covered for 60,000 miles but at 50,000 we call your broken parts wear and tear.

Even my lowly Jet jointer came with a can of touch up paint 10 years ago, but not the lathe or shaper I bought more recently.  Tough times call for cutting back on the niceties, I guess.  That they want to make a profit on sending you the paint to fix what went onto the crate f-ed up to begin with is not cool.  

• 5 weeks later...

I dont know if its a starting trend with PM or just bad luck or what but youre not the only one. My brothers new jointer just came and the fit and finish is crap. Chipped and peeling paint, uneven shoddy milling on the beds, chipped cutters, and its poorly adjusted. Not to mention the overpriced mobile base which is junk as well.

The machine runs nicely but now hes gotta go through the nightmare of tuning a helical head dovetail jointer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

I dont know if its a starting trend with PM or just bad luck or what but youre not the only one. My brothers new jointer just came and the fit and finish is crap. Chipped and peeling paint, uneven shoddy milling on the beds, chipped cutters, and its poorly adjusted. Not to mention the overpriced mobile base which is junk as well.

The machine runs nicely but now hes gotta go through the nightmare of tuning a helical head dovetail jointer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah if i was buying a jointer and there was that much wrong with it I'd be loading it up and bringing it back. Poor milling and chipped cutters screams something seriously wrong. Something that i don't want to have to fix for a company that calls them self the gold standard.

Odd that you post on this today. I got a call from the salesman at acme that i ordered my saw through. After i had the unsatisfactory results with PM customer service i explained the whole situation to him. He ended up telling my story to the JPW Industries rep (Powermatic/Jet). End result the rep put an order in for paint for me and i have it on the way. I try not to push to hard on the sales guy i deal with because he's pulled a few favors for me by returning tools that were WAY out of warranty period no questions asked.