New toy!

Chestnut

43 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Lol no it's just my new table saw. I had to break from setup because i had a scheduled oil change and the battery died on my car. So that was inconvient.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

maybe instead of a table saw you should have opted for a new battery, naw just kidding, so lets see it

Finally got it put together. Haven't let it rip yet i still have to level the fence and do a couple quick things but I'm not really that impressed.

12728882_10100929001525629_2782166018306

I really like the HTC mobile base though it works really well. For my shop that is a huge plus.

12715689_10100929002403869_8673851228408

Still haven't figured out what i want to do blade wise i guess i kinda ran out of time. I just used the dewalt blade to square the miter slots to the blade it's not staying. Love the fence but I'm comparing it to a jobsite dewalt saw so it's like comparing 7th graders and pro athletes.

Ok this miter fence is awesome. I realize that there are better after market alternatives as well but honestly i don't see the need right now. I fixed the blade ... i don't have anything 10" in the table saw type currently so i probably won't zip anything until i fix that.

12742240_10100929009729189_1307559390752

So here is the dissappointment, I don't know if it's common or now but the extension wings do not match the rest of the saw in color like not even close.

12742509_10100929001605469_6873656671451

Also the paint on the extension wings seems like it is there for protection during shipping only because half of it has chipped off all on it's own.

12715472_10100929001565549_8637984321986

I guess i had higher expectations for a company that labels it's self the gold standard. I guess i did get their starter model the PM1000.

I agree with you Chestnut. I would be really torqued off as well. It shouldn't matter if it's the biggest or the smallest saw they sell, it still says Powermatic on it. If they want to cheap out on the small details they should save that for the Jet line. I don't know for a fact but most extensions usually fit all models and so if that's the case someone that gets the high dollar model is getting the same quality. You sure don't see that crap on the ones on all the TV wood working shows.:(

• Like 2

Doesn't matter if it's a great saw or purely cosmetic. He paid a premium price because it's Powermatic and got extension wings that are missing a ton of paint. That's totally unacceptable and that exposed cast iron is eventually going to rust. I would contact your dealer or Powermatic and demand they make it right. 

It's probably a reflection of experience-level, but I expect some cosmetic damage with any new machine... Most of my kit arrived with (or soon had) some chipped/scratched paint somewhere... I'm pleasantly surprised when a machine arrives in pristine condition (and manage to get it into the shop that way), but I'm not overly torqued-off if there's a scuff mark, some chipped paint, etc. I've had machines catch fire, trunion bolts not torqued-down (that was very exciting), missing parts, incorrect phase, bad controls, et al... That sort of thing pisses me off in direct proportion to how hard it was to get into the shop...

Call PM and they'll take care of you... If you want to break their balls, demand new wings... Or just ask for some touch-up paint...

While I agree with Trip that some minor cosmetic damage is "expected" almost every time, I also find that to be totally unacceptable when you're paying premium money for premium tools.  I don't plunk down a week or two of my hard earned money for some flaky ass paint.  If it was a Grizzly, fine...I've come to realize she's the neighborhood skank and I get what I deserve if I take her out.  (Burns when I urinate.)  But when I buy a Powermatic I expect a perfect machine and no regrets in the morning.

If it's gonna get damaged, I'll be responsible for that, thank you very much.

PS...you shoulda bought a SawStop anyway.  That's probably just karma nipping at you.

• Like 1