Stickey sub section?

Brendon_t

does anyone else think it would be valuable to newer members, often coming in for the first time asking a question that has been hashed through a bunch of times to have a sticky sub section mods could move a few of the better previous discussions into? 

If we do our part in getting good reoccurring topics in there, someone could easily link to that particular thread rather than just ignoring it or rehashing everything, often at the expense of the OP not actually getting the information that is out there.

Topics like 

domino vs dowels

Should I buy a cabinet saw or contractor saw

stand alone jointer or bench top model

what finish should I use

Should I buy Grizzly or (fill in the blank)

just a few but it seems like a decent running " archive" of sorts would be an asset rather than hearing " use the search function" which I know I'm guilty of also. 

• Like 1

I think that often, a thread on a forum is as much about interacting with others as it is about getting cold data. Sure, you can do a search & read old threads, but there is value in rehashing it in you own words & reading it fresh from others.

All new people should be required to submit a 25 page paper outlining their reasons for joining the forum. Applicants should follow APA format. Topics should include: Life story, My journey into wood, First memory of Norm and so on... You get the idea.

These papers will be graded for grammar, content and the ability of the author convey why they are here.

In all seriousness (which I don't care for) - Some stickies are good, others are bad. Many people get tired of seeing the same questions, the same topics, same same same... There is a lot of content to consume. Search is faulty, and most often a person asks something in the interest of new information. Perhaps it was 6 months since the last domino debate. A lot can happen in 6 months. :) 

1 minute ago, Llama said:

All new people should be required to submit a 25 page paper outlining their reasons for joining the forum. Applicants should follow APA format. Topics should include: Life story, My journey into wood, First memory of Norm and so on... You get the idea.

These papers will be graded for grammar, content and the ability of the author convey why they are here.

In all seriousness (which I don't care for) - Some stickies are good, others are bad. Many people get tired of seeing the same questions, the same topics, same same same... There is a lot of content to consume. Search is faulty, and most often a person asks something in the interest of new information. Perhaps it was 6 months since the last domino debate. A lot can happen in 6 months. :) 

Who's norm? :unsure:

The sticky's also give a good location for information that changes readily to be easily accessed by all. Being a somewhat new member myself and having been active on other forums it would be nice if there was a spot for looking up information. This forum is ACTIVE and 3 months here is the same as 4 years other places. Running a search string across 200,000 posts a lot of times doesn't yield the best information that a sticky could solve. I was there yesterday.

On the flip side they will only get used by those looking for them and constantly referencing them gets as old as hearing the same question over and over again.

I tihnk the idea is only as good as how organized the sticky can be. If someone wants to put the work in to keep it organized and maintained it could be a HUGE help. Other wise it will get as tough to navigate and be as repetitive as anything else.