Pulled the trigger on a sawstop

minorhero

Just purchased the 3hp with 30" fence from the Delaware Woodcraft for 2729$. Been saving up for this one and the combination of no freight and no sales tax plus thier mobile base promotion was too good to pass up. Good thing I bought it today as it was the last one they had in stock. 

Anyone ever move one in an suv? I have a Subaru crosstrek and a Subaru forester. But it would be easier to do it in the crosstrek.  

I am going tomorrow to pick it up. This will be the first machine in my shop I will be buying new. The next newest machine is from the late 70s or early 80s.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new saw, im sure you will love it! The cabinet comes in a pretty big box im not sure you will be able to get that in the back of the crosstrek. Worst case scenario i guess you could remove the box and styrofoam pieces. 

Did you get the overarm dust collection with it? If not, you should its a great addition to this saw. 

Congrats on the new saw hope that you love it.

Do you have a trailer and a hitch? I don't know if the SUV is going to cut it. Just the weight alone getting it in and out is going to be tricky. If i were you i'd go to u-haul or somewhere and rent a pickup, or find a trailer if you have a hitch.

Great choice!

As I recall, mine came in one big heavy box for the saw with the fence, rails & extension table packed separately with everything bundled on a pallet. The main box is really heavy & quite big. I used a pick up, so I'm no help there. 

If you haven't picked it up yet, I would encourage you to have a look at the T-glide fence. It's much better than the Premium fence.

Got mine delivered, but I'd be surprised if it fit in an SUV.  As others mentioned, the box is pretty big.  Even if it fits, I'd be weary of putting in the back of an SUV because of the weight.  It took three people to move mine down to my basement, and that was with everything that could be removed from the box removed, and I only have the 1 3/4 hp version.  I think the 3hp is quite a bit heavier.  

Enjoy the saw!  Been doing some small projects the past few weeks since I got mine and it's been a dream to use.  

Seems pretty consistent most folks are saying to rent a truck. That being said, I have moved a unisaw in a Forester before and I really don't want to rent a truck tomorrow if I can help it. I took some measurements today and I think my Crosstrek is a little bit too small (height is the determining dimension). But the Forester has a few inches to spare. My plan now is to take the forester to the store and load the saw into the back. The saw is going to come in under 700 lbs and I have loaded that much into my old forester before without any real problem. A 400 lb saw is practically a light weight. Heck I carry more in human weight when 3 fatties get into my car ;p I think if I take it off the pallet I really shouldn't have any trouble. Worse case scenario is once I get to the store and see everything I will have to go to a uhaul and rent a trailer. However I really don't think that will be an issue.

As another cheap guy who moved a SawStop on his own (though I do have a pickup), I'm really proud of you!  Mine came out of the truck and into the garage and onto a moving dolly - there was a similar moment when it was precariously balanced on the tailgate of the truck!  It's still there, waiting to be wheeled across the drive to its new home in the shop in a few weeks.

Enjoy the new saw!!

Nice job! I think you'll be happy with the fence upgrade. I'm curious to hear your thoughts after assembling it. I've put hundreds of machines together over the years, but I've never seen a better combination of excellent instructions, packaging and thought put into making it as easy as possible for the end user to assemble. 

Enjoy your saw!

" Every other tool I have purchased used, many of which were purchased in non functional states for less then 100 dollars and I restored. Literally the most expensive tool I purchased before this was $400 (and that was my Ridgid table saw) "

" (Incidentally in this picture you can see my 1950 Delta Unisaw off to the right, this sawstop is to be its replacement): "

So is the Delta going to be set up for Dado's only now?????

Thank you everyone for the kind words and hearty encouragement. Yesterday was definitely a lot of fun, and today promises to have a big reward at the end once I get the saw all setup. 

9 hours ago, Gary-ks said:

So is the Delta going to be set up for Dado's only now?????

Unfortunately not. I really don't make enough dados to justify the amount of space both saws would take up. The unisaw has been a good saw to me but I will sell it off in the near future. Just have to get it out of my shop and into my garage so it can be sold more easily. It got into my shop with the help of a bunch of movers. I am definitely going to need the help of at least one other person to get it out.