Which shoulder plane?

Cliff

12 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Post some feedback on the shoulder plane when you use it. I still haven't purchased a router plane or shoulder plane, and I would most likely go veritas for both.

The veritas router plane is a wonderful tool that is a joy to use ever time I need it. The router plane is such a simple theory but they really got it right. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Post some feedback on the shoulder plane when you use it. I still haven't purchased a router plane or shoulder plane, and I would most likely go veritas for both.

Sure. So far I haven't even taken the blade out of the plastic. I may have went overboard in buying new stuff last week so I'm working my way through all the new stuff :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 0:19 PM, Brendon_t said:

The veritas router plane is a wonderful tool that is a joy to use ever time I need it. The router plane is such a simple theory but they really got it right. 

I used the shoulder plane for the first time today. Even with half inch tenons the large worked amazingly. 

Then ordered the LV router plane. Hence the quote here :)

The more I do this the more I realize I am not a "dial it in" power tool guy. I like to get that final fit with joinery planes for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

The more I do this the more I realize I am not a "dial it in" power tool guy. I like to get that final fit with joinery planes for sure.

IMHO that's the best way to do it.  Many power tools leave slightly uneven surfaces, so quickly cleaning up with a hand tool is a good idea.  For example, not everyone puts enough downward pressure when using a dado stack, and the resulting dado isn't a uniform depth.  A quick pass or two with a router plane and it is.

Hand tools also let you sneak up to a perfect fit, a thousandth of an inch at a time if need be.

And they're just plain fun and make me feel more connected to the craft. :)

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 5:53 AM, Cliff said:

The LN looks very uncomfortable to use. You don't have an issue?

I really wish there was somewhere nearby that I could try both and see how they feel. I prefer LN but ONLY because my only other plane is a LN. Silly reason.

Hand tools are very personal since we use them by hand.  Your hands are different than my hands, and all that.

That being said, I was lucky enough to end up at a WWing show where Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley were setup diagonal to each other. I went back and forth a half a dozen times and both outfits were incredibly tolerant :rolleyes:.

The LN shoulder plane is a classic design but the LV medium shoulder plane is so easy to grip and control.  That is where I ended up. YMMV.  I have since picked up the LV large shoulder plane and a bull nose.  If I could only have one, it would be the medium.

On 3/3/2016 at 3:46 PM, Cliff said:

They were $741 when I did it this morning. And I just looked and you are right. Wow. Oh well. Just my luck they'd drop hours after I ordered them elsewhere

Just an FYI for the future,  discount tire co/America's tire co will price match tire rack online price. 

• Like 1