First hand cut dovetail

N00b-in-training

Nice work! Not being a student of Cosman, can you explain to me the purpose of pulling back the marking gage?

Thanks!!

Wouldn't classify myself as a Cosman student but I didn't borrow the video from the library, and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. The purpose, the best I can tell, is because inevitably you push the fibers into the joint with your chisel making it ever to much deeper than your scribe line. He abhors the idea of going negative to the middle of the joint, don't recall why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Personally, IMO, I would do the drawers that will be seen the most with dt's and  the rest with box joints or some other jounery, unless you're just hell-bent on using dt's. That's a bunch of work?

Hell-bent on getting it down. A dinning room buffet table is on the wife's wish list, gotta get dovetails down before that!

• Like 1

Just wanted to stop by to let you know that your dt practice had inspired me.  Tonight I decided to bang together a set of half blind dt's for a small box for holding marking and measuring tools. It took way too long but was cool once finished.  Thanks for the inspiration. 

BT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Just wanted to stop by to let you know that your dt practice had inspired me.  Tonight I decided to bang together a set of half blind dt's for a small box for holding marking and measuring tools. It took way too long but was cool once finished.  Thanks for the inspiration. 

BT

I'll have to post the drawer i did the other night. Just when you think you've got it down you screw something up so bad you can't figure out how you screwed it up. lol. Through this i've gained so much more respect for those who do it well. Lots more practice needed!

21 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

BT

Mr. Post A Pic, get that film developed and let us see.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...