First hand cut dovetail

N00b-in-training

Built my first drawer last night, forget to get a pic.... Question - My pins and tails are "rough" from the saw teeth. Is this normal? I followed Shannon Rogers recommendation that the first hand saw should be a carcass saw, I bought the Lie-Nielsen tapered saw. Is this caused by the crosscut tooth configuration of the carcass saw? Would a rip tooth dovetail saw fix this or is it something in my technique?

11 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Wow that's impressive. Saw geometry is way out of my area of expertise but I know I get good quality cuts off of my cheap crown model 187 8" brass back saw. The filing is not aggressive at all and leaves a smooth wall behind it. 

hmmm.... Maybe i'll just stop at Woodcraft on my way home to grab the Veritas DT saw to try. Too many drawers to get done this weekend to wait for the LN saw to show up next week... Good thing about my boys at Woodcraft is they'll return it without question!

5 minutes ago, N00b-in-training said:

well... well... well... I might have finally found my first Craigslist find. Found a LN Dovetail saw new in box 15 minutes from me. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon.  Whoop! Whoop! $110 vs $125 and no shipping.

I just picked up a LV dovetail saw off c-list yesterday $40  brand new..The guy deceided he'd rather work on motorcycles!  Made my day!  Got a few other items from him but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, walked away with about $200 worth of woodworking stuff for a grand total of $60  Now that's a Whoop, whoop!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I just picked up a LV dovetail saw off c-list yesterday $40  brand new..The guy deceided he'd rather work on motorcycles!  Made my day!  Got a few other items from him but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, walked away with about $200 worth of woodworking stuff for a grand total of $60  Now that's a Whoop, whoop!

Very nice! He said he had other LN tools if i wanted more.

<Devil> Yes, tell him you'll run by his shop to take a look </Devil>

<Angel> Nope! Tell him to just bring the saw to the office tomorrow and you'll pick it up to avoid the temptation. </Angel> 

Went with the Angel, I don't need to spend more $$$!!

3 minutes ago, N00b-in-training said:

Very nice! He said he had other LN tools if i wanted more.

<Devil> Yes, tell him you'll run by his shop to take a look </Devil>

<Angel> Nope! Tell him to just bring the saw to the office tomorrow and you'll pick it up to avoid the temptation. </Angel> 

Went with the Angel, I don't need to spend more $$$!!

Bad angel, getting in the way of good tools....  Well, maybe not.   I say give me his number,   but I have limited $$$ to!  So, don't give me his number!    Darn!!!

• Like 1

Just now, RichardA said:

Come on Richard, show us your hoard!

12 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

You couldn't by the 'equivalent' ( if there was such a thing ) from Harbor Freight for $60!

There ought to be a warrant out on you for that!

Hey, I let him keep the buck brothers planes, and since he likes fishing, I told him to use them for drag anchors!

• Like 2

Drawer number 2 was much better than drawer numero uno, which I just happened to forget to get a picture of. I'm really glad I held off until I got a rip cut dovetail saw instead of the crosscut carcass saw i was using. 

Drawer number 2:56e612242c5e8_IMG_0509(1).jpg.e741811112

I decided to pull the marking gauge back a bit following Cosman's advice, either i pulled it back too much or it's bad advice. haha. Nothing the smoother can't fix...

56e6129b25896_IMG_0510(1).jpg.7146ed31a9

• Like 2