Infinity Oval & Circle Cutter With Vacuum Base

bradpotts

I purchased this jig to make the Northwestern mutual table. I was super excited because it had a vacuum base. I used this to cut out the outside of my circle and the deal that spins the jig broke. Not a big deal must have been a fluke. In my opinion the didn't use a big enough or strong enough bold. The bolt is fixed. That wasn't a big deal because it came with two to make an oval. So I used the next one to make my inner circle. It broke too. cid:E3546009-4923-49B1-9E51-EBCF50A9C59C

I talked with Bob from infinity and it was pretty much useless. I ended up drilling it out and putting a new bolt in there. It was a pain. I wouldn't buy it again.

ac6dcaf16a4f2d4f1fe1353df4bd49a9.jpg

Sorry to hear about the bad customer service and breaking parts.

20 + years ago I built a huge oval jig to build a big conference table 5' wide x12' long. Had to be able to cut the core for the table and then a matching solid wood edge that would meet perfectly. That adds a degree of complexity to ensure the accuracy. The thing I found was to take shallow depth cuts until it is cut all the way through but is a bit oversized. Then adjust the cut to shave the edge to the perfect diameter needed. Taking full thickness cuts  puts a lot of stress on the criss cross oval mechanism.

Sorry to hear about the bad customer service and breaking parts.

20 + years ago I built a huge oval jig to build a big conference table 5' wide x12' long. Had to be able to cut the core for the table and then a matching solid wood edge that would meet perfectly. That adds a degree of complexity to ensure the accuracy. The thing I found was to take shallow depth cuts until it is cut all the way through but is a bit oversized. Then adjust the cut to shave the edge to the perfect diameter needed. Taking full thickness cuts  puts a lot of stress on the criss cross oval mechanism.

I was taking 3/16" cuts with a 1/4 whiteside spiral upcut bit. I think it is more of a design problem because the bolt and spinning deal is one piece. 29a997500a2457331af926afd49439a6.jpg maybe the size of the bolt is to thin.

• 5 months later...

Hi Brad, I just stumbled across your thread here. I pulled up your original order and didn't see any notes regarding the problems you had. I have personally used the Oval and Circle Cutter on several projects and never had a problem. I built a pair of Federal style oval tables and most recently used the hardware and made my own custom base to cut out the oval of my coffee table top which was a 2" thick slab of Eucalyptus. So far the posts have held up very well. The jig is quite popular and this is not a failure I have heard of or seen before.

I am sorry you did not have a good experience with our customer service. We take our customer support very seriously. It sounds like we really dropped the ball on this one and for that I apologize.

Andrew

On 3/21/2016 at 7:45 PM, bradpotts said:

I talked with Bob from infinity and it was pretty much useless.

Not to beat a dead horse or start a rant but, I would like to know a little more about this.  I have read almost 100% positive reviews of Infinity tools, cutters and customer service.  Was Bob just not interested in helping?  Was he implying that the failure was due to abuse and that Infinity would take no action?  Maybe Bob was having a bad day or just got off the phone with a problem customer(?).  Infinity products are not super-high priced but, are certainly on the upper end of their competitors.  This enhanced profit margin normally makes me expect exceptional customer service.

Here is what happened. I broke the first bolt on Feb 3. I sent an email to infinity. They didn't get back to me until Feb 11th. They said they are looking into getting me the replacement part on the 11th. I emailed again on the 28th because the other one broke and haven't heard from them. I was so dissatisfied at that point I emails back don't worry about sending another one I will fix it myself. So that is what I did. 0bc42e0426683cd4f9616caaa8c365c3.jpgSince I fixed the bolt I have had no problems. I have bought other tools from infinity and besides this small flaw, enjoy their tools.