Well met from the silicon prairie, specifically NE

skipisu

like many people on this forum, i have been lurking around for about 4-5 years now, but have not made an official introduction.  my name is schuyler (sky-ler). i am originally an iowegian who migrated about the western parts of the u.s. in the late 1990s/early 2000s. i finally ended back in the midwest in 2002 (il) for graduate school and planted my roots in eastern nebraska shortly after.

i grew up around woodworking during my younger years. my father was a h.s. shop teacher for about 10 years in a small western illinois school district until the early 1990s,until the school district decided cut teachers and programs that were not important to curriculum (woodshop was one of them). as a youngster i would tinker around my father’s shop, mostly trying to turn baseball bats and spindles out of scraps on his lathe and help him sand his almost completed projects and then slam the occaisional nails into some wood just to pass the time away with my father in his shop.

anyways, over the last several years i have really begin to notice notice the woodworking pieces my father has made for other family members, including the fly tying desk, walnut bookcase/table top gaming case, along with some other pieces laying around the house he has built over the past 40 years. as all woodworkers do, he takes pride in giving his projects to various family members and the projects are all well received. i have always wanted carry on the legacy of my father’s craft, and enjoy making and helping others on their projects, but i always found it difficult to get started in serious woodworking projects when i was moving from place to place almost every two years. so finally in the last 5 years or so we found a more permanent home and employment and i now have an established a shop space (the classic 2 stall garage/workshop, which my wife parks her car in occasionally) and i have slowly started getting back into woodworking.

so over the past five years most of my projects to date have been small simple projects. they are not even close to what i would be comfortable calling masterpieces, but they are functional….

beer totes for my groomsmen:

IMAG0384_BURST009.jpg

cornhole boards for our wedding and tailgating parties

IMAG0402_BURST008[1].jpg  IMAG0401_BURST003[1].jpg

shop cabinets:
cleatcabinets.jpg

simple workbench bench:

PenultiBench004.jpg

currently i have a decent sized list of projects i would like to build for our son and for around the house we recently purchased in the past couple years. it has been a lot tougher than i thought to find well spent time in the shop with the one year old minion running around the house, but maybe by the time he leaves the house i will have the list near complete.

thanks for stopping by and hopefully i will have other projects, opinions and ides to share with this great community.

-  schuyler (aka skippy)