Tesla Model 3

boelkers

13 hours ago, wdwerker said:

One prediction was 8 years/100,000 miles but slow degradation of capacity along the way. $44,000 to replace a Model S battery.

Luckily, at the moment it's a 8-year battery and drive unit warranty. So you can expect to replace them at 8 years but if they go before, you are all good. 

I'd hope the batteries are cheaper for the Model 3 too. And when they get that factory up and running should help that price out quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Dunno about Tesla, but I read a study once, that showed that over the life of the vehicle (incuding construction and disposal), its more green to drive a Hummer than a Prius.

This. We have a long way to go for true green in energy at the levels we currently consume it. Solar panels are one of those questionably green products because of the nasty production output. I won't curse at anyone for trying though.  Hybrid blends have been the railroad choice for so long for good reasons. There is a balance between fuel and battery there, but it is not really "green." Also consider how the electricity is being generated to charge a car. Coal? I love to hate on Prius, but where is the rest of the pack? Why are we such diesel haters in the US? A diesel electric hybrid seems to be a great thing for navies and trains, but not the consumer? I smell something foul that cannot be fully attributed to the science. 

I would love to see a plug in hybrid with a clean diesel/electric that could run maybe 50-75 miles on a charge and all day on the diesel. Diesel could run at one speed optimized for economy/ output. Then it needs to be available as a truck or Van  ! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://fee.org/articles/mit-incandescents-now-more-efficient-than-leds/

Please ignore the political commentary as that interaction is banned here. I am posting this because of the unexpected nature of the scientific discovery and how technology tends to move in unexpected rather than linear ways. Giant leaps happen after every one else walks away. 

On April 2, 2016 at 0:44 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I was having my wife's Murano serviced at the dealer this morning, and noticed Nissan has just launched a new Titan pickup with a Cummins V-8 diesel. It looks AWESOME.

I have a neighbor across the street that has a Dodge Ram with a Cummins.  He has had it for about 12 yrs.  he gets about 21-22 around town in that beast.  I think Cummins is one of, if not the quietest diesel engine.  The one real down side I see to the diesels is that when something has to be replaced it seems to average twice what it would be on a gas vehicle.

4 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

https://fee.org/articles/mit-incandescents-now-more-efficient-than-leds/

Please ignore the political commentary as that interaction is banned here. I am posting this because of the unexpected nature of the scientific discovery and how technology tends to move in unexpected rather than linear ways. Giant leaps happen after every one else walks away. 

That's really interesting. Exactly what I'd expect from the world. 

• Like 1

So the car is basically worthless after the 8-year battery goes out? 

I bought my first used car when I was 18 years old.  I bought 4 used cars in my life and I still drive 2 of them.  I'm 46.  Having to dump a car after 8 years doesn't appeal to me. 

I've had good success buying good, used cars while making sure to do the maintenance on them.    

25 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

So the car is basically worthless after the 8-year battery goes out? 

I bought my first used car when I was 18 years old.  I bought 4 used cars in my life and I still drive 2 of them.  I'm 46.  Having to dump a car after 8 years doesn't appeal to me. 

I've had good success buying good, used cars while making sure to do the maintenance on them.    

I don't think it's for everyone. I buy new cars only. I pay them off and buy another immediately. I have zero interest in used cars or keeping one for a decade. I'm their ideal customer. I mean, if I could buy it right now. 

• Like 1

I was having my wife's Murano serviced at the dealer this morning, and noticed Nissan has just launched a new Titan pickup with a Cummins V-8 diesel. It looks AWESOME.

I have a neighbor across the street that has a Dodge Ram with a Cummins.  He has had it for about 12 yrs.  he gets about 21-22 around town in that beast.  I think Cummins is one of, if not the quietest diesel engine.  The one real down side I see to the diesels is that when something has to be replaced it seems to average twice what it would be on a gas vehicle.

Not only parts, but consumables, too. Oil changes in the Big 3's diesel pickups require GALLONS, not quarts. Several colleages report spending over $100 ever 3000 miles for stinkin' oil changes. There has to be some middle ground between the ginormous heavy equipment engines Detroit likes to put in a pickup, and the dinky little diesel lawn mower engines that some car companies use. If I were much of a gear head, I would be sorely tempted to tackle a Cummins 4BT (box van / bread truck engine) conversion.

Oh, and as the antithesis to Cliff, of the 13 vehicles I have owned since 1980, only the first was new. Most new pickups have REBATES of more than I buy for.

I like buying new vehicles.

I like to be the first one to let one rip... 

I like the new car smell before the aforementioned "rip"...

I can see myself buying a Tesla in the near future. I haven't done any research on what it takes to keep the damn thing charged up, but I like the concept. The idea of my car driving me around is very appealing. 

In all reality, my next car will be some sort of toy. Something fun, something fast. 

The only deviation of buying used would be a vintage car, or something relatively new that loses a tremendous amount of value the moment it leaves the dealer. 

• Like 2

I agree, there is a lot of appeal with the tech Tesla uses. They are embracing technology, and inventing new. Unlike the other car dudes who have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present.

Also a big reason I buy new cars, is because I know how to put gas in them and not much else. I could learn - but I just don't want to. Rather drop it at the shop and then pick it up if something goes wrong - and the warranty paying for it is great.

10 hours ago, wdwerker said:

So trade in in before then !

I get buyer's remorse because I'm not good at buying and I overpay.  I've always felt cars were the number #1 reason for keeping the consumer in debt if they do everything else correctly.  I probably take it to an extreme but I've been fortunate and have no debt. 

I have my eye on those new Honda Ridgelines.  If they get good reviews I may buy a good used one.  :lol:

46 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

I get buyer's remorse because I'm not good at buying and I overpay.  I've always felt cars were the number #1 reason for keeping the consumer in debt if they do everything else correctly.  I probably take it to an extreme but I've been fortunate and have no debt. 

I have my eye on those new Honda Ridgelines.  If they get good reviews I may buy a good used one.  :lol:

I agree with the the debt thing, cars are a good way to new be able to get out of it.

I disagree with the ridgeline. I don't know if i could buy a FWD pickup. I don't know if i could buy FWD anything ... dang it this should be a post in odd habits. :(

The thing that makes changing the batteries after 8 years manageable is that you didn't pay all that money to maintain the car over it's life span. The problem with it is that some(most?) people don't have the ability to plan that far ahead and put away the money saved on fuel and maintenance for the eventual battery change.

I bought my first car when i was 14 (yeah we start young here), i still have it 14 years later, buying a good used vehicle and taking care of it can be the best financial decision someone can make.

I don't know much about this car but I heard about it at work too, so I looked up the warranty info from their website. 

Service Plans
Your Tesla vehicle is protected by a 4 year, 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty and 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty. Tesla recommends an Annual Service Inspection every year or 12,500 miles to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards. Advance payment of Annual Service Inspections via a Service Plan is the most economical means of maintaining your vehicle. Service Plans may be purchased by visiting a local Service Center within the first 60 days after delivery of a new or qualified Pre-Owned Vehicle.

3 year prepaid service, $1,325
One inspection per year or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), up to 3 years or 37,500 miles

4 year prepaid service, $2,100
One inspection per year or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), up to 4 years or 50,000 miles

8 year prepaid service, $4,000
One inspection per year or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), up to 8 years or 100,000 miles

7 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

I bought my 2011 with 5 miles on it. Love it, no complaints... (well it gets horrible milage...). Not to mention the resale value :) Last I checked, it has maintained value quite well.

Not sure about the new ones... But, hmm... You can buy mine, and I'll slip into a new Tesla? :D

22 minutes ago, Llama said:

I bought my 2011 with 5 miles on it. Love it, no complaints... (well it gets horrible milage...). Not to mention the resale value :) Last I checked, it has maintained value quite well.

Not sure about the new ones... But, hmm... You can buy mine, and I'll slip into a new Tesla? :D

:lol: 

I hope the Tesla 3 works out.  We need a major shake up in the auto industry.  While the AWD is unfortunate I just need it for bad weather.  I have to think there's a reason they did it that way since a locking differential does have its advantages.  Hopefully none of which I need.

Cars are expensive and it only makes sense to have the biggest cost of owning one being up front which is what Tesla seems to be going for in the long run.  Too bad our governments add thousands to the cost of owning a car over its life.