Roger Heitzman Table

Janello

No normal person would notice the difference, but in a perfect world you would cut the drawer front and front rail (stretcher? apron? what the hell is that part called?) out of the same board.  It looks fine to me...and it'll mellow and blend more with time.

7 minutes ago, Eric. said:

No normal person would notice the difference, but in a perfect world you would cut the drawer front and front rail (stretcher? apron? what the hell is that part called?) out of the same board.  It looks fine to me...and it'll mellow and blend more with time.

Thanks, good advise. I noticed with walnut (as with most woods) that it lightens quite a bit when sanded out to 220. The drawer parts haven't been sanded just yet, so that may mellow it down some.

I did take into consideration, and thought the same, as the piece ages the contrast will likely become less noticable. I call it the drawer apron *shrugs*

Chestnut- You're right, the color difference was more of my concern.   

I tend to agree with those above..  You know there's a quick test tho, hit it with a little mist of water and see..  Be sure to grab a pic when you do..  I have a sneaking suspicion that those parts are going to work just fine!

5 hours ago, Chet K. said:

The front almost looks as if if did come from the same piece.  There is a bit of a cathedral at the top of the apron, if that is what we are calling it, and just a hint of a cathedral at the bottom of the drawer

5 hours ago, Janello said:

Good eye ;)

Well since you DID use the same board for both parts, you have nothing to be concerned about.  The discrepancy in color is only because one part is sanded and the other is not.  They'll match perfectly once both are sanded and finished.

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

Well since you DID use the same board for both parts, you have nothing to be concerned about.  The discrepancy in color is only because one part is sanded and the other is not.  They'll match perfectly once both are sanded and finished.

Need to clarify. I didn't use the same board for the drawer front as the apron. I just used and lined up a small cathedral so it blended a bit.

It's gonna look different...But as they say....Jimmy crack corn.

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Looking really good.

I like the sign "Don't touch" Is that for yourself because your finishing it too quickly? :D

Thanks, and yes...that's my story and i'm sticking to it. ;)

My new excuse is- I can't put a finish on it with all the dust in my shop from the table build. 

• Like 1

Just now, shaneymack said:

Nice. I was looking at getting a chisel plane but though of getting that for the dual functionality. How do you like it?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That was my exact thought process. It's handy to have around for sure. I needed to clean up 1/32 of the leg that stuck past my side apron so the drawer side didn't hit it. Worked well because I can put the nose on it and reference the board starting at the edge, then remove the front and do a stoped rabbet. It's one of those tools that you don't use often but are perfect for some jobs.

Nice. I was looking at getting a chisel plane but though of getting that for the dual functionality. How do you like it?

That was my exact thought process. It's handy to have around for sure. I needed to clean up 1/32 of the leg that stuck past my side apron so the drawer side didn't hit it. Worked well because I can put the nose on it and reference the board starting at the edge, then remove the front and do a stoped rabbet. It's one of those tools that you don't use often but are perfect for some jobs.

Ok, you've convinced me ! Will add to LV wish list