Roger Heitzman Table

Janello

On April 5, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Janello said:

No, I'm not going to mount the legs on my wall to remind me of this mistake. I am going to wack them into bite size pieces on the bandsaw have a beer after the fix is done and put it in my rear view mirror!

awesome table john, i don't mount errors on the wall either, i throw them out in the yard until they have learned their lesson:blink:

• Like 1

I could use a little advise on attaching the top to this base. Because I have no useable side apron I can't use figure 8's or Z clips there. I could put a few on the back apron and pin the front legs to the top with dowels or domino's. Do you think this will still work since the clips will be on the side that is moving? I'm open to other suggestions. Keep in mind, because of the open sides anything too obtrusive on the back apron will be seen when the drawer is open and prohibit the drawer from closing all the way.

The top will be 19.5 inches across the grain.

22 minutes ago, Janello said:

I could use a little advise on attaching the top to this base. Because I have no useable side apron I can't use figure 8's or Z clips there. I could put a few on the back apron and pin the front legs to the top with dowels or domino's. Do you think this will still work since the clips will be on the side that is moving? I'm open to other suggestions. Keep in mind, because of the open sides anything too obtrusive on the back apron will be seen when the drawer is open and prohibit the drawer from closing all the way.

The top will be 19.5 inches across the grain.

Won't the drawer interfere with the back apron or were you saying place the clips on the outside back apron? I feel like a Z clip in a slot on the apron would work well with dowels or dominos in the front legs.

lol Shaney...I never noticed that before, but you're right ! :P

9 minutes ago, TIODS said:

what's the finish of choice on this one?

I don't own spray gear therefore the best finish I've ever laid my eyes on for walnut (maybe other than a Maloof rocker) is Satin ARS ala Eric's recipe. So be it the plan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janello said:

lol Shaney...I never noticed that before, but you're right ! :P

I don't own spray gear therefore the best finish I've ever laid my eyes on for walnut (maybe other than a Maloof rocker) is Satin ARS ala Eric's recipe. So be it the plan.

Safe and solid choice..

On April 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Janello said:

I could use a little advise on attaching the top to this base.

John, since you have done it once already, have you given any thought to contacting Heitzman as to what technique he used for attaching the top?

9 hours ago, Chet K. said:

John, since you have done it once already, have you given any thought to contacting Heitzman as to what technique he used for attaching the top?

Looking at Rogers work, for whatever reason, I don't think he cares much about top movement. I came upon a solution. I'm gonna hold the drawer back in a bit to fit shop made buttons. That's what the deep groove on the rear apron is for. Hindsight, I should have made a stopped groove there, but if it's noticeable when the drawer is open I can fill the ends of the groove.

Getting closer. 

I started on the top and shelf, 3 boards each. The top's boards were a little wider than my jointer so I cleaned them up with the LAJ and took a full swipe once leveled. 

planing1.jpg

planing 2.jpg

Then off to the planer and one pass thru the DS before dominos.

sander.jpg

I alternate my boards edges off the jointer and throw in a few dominos for alignment

domino.jpg

Clamping up and wiping off excess glue. I ran the panels through the DS again after the glue dried overnight.

clamped.jpg

We have a top and shelf all sanded up. Sorry about the terrible overexposure. LED lights are not great for picture taking.

topandshelf.jpg

top.jpg

End grain shot of the top

endgrain.jpg

Messed around a bit with some ebony for the square plugs. I should get my square chisel on monday.

ebony1.jpg

Clamped up tight around the drawer area to get some measurements, and started milling drawer parts. stay tuned!

clamps.jpg

• Like 1