forstner bit set?

bob493

Looking for a MODEST quality forstner bit set. Doesn't seem to be too much on them. I don't require anything larger than 1" ever, and I dont need the "Best of the best" tool either. Something "decent" (think the narex chisel set quality here).

I cant seem to find a middle ground quality tool here. Hope someone can help!

Several years ago I got a set from Rockler that includes lots of the in between sizes. They are not the highest quality bits but running them at slow speeds and keeping them clean has helped. Very handy to have slightly over and undersized options. 22 bits =$160

Back in July of last year, Steve mentioned this set. I ordered them and have had really good success with them. Back then they were $108.00. I just clicked the link but could not access it. I went to Peachtree's site and they are now $44.00 for a 16 piece set but are out of stock. I know, $44 for a set makes you wonder what you're getting but if I had to do over again after having used them, I would still pay the $108.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_072815_forstner_set.htm

1/4" to 2 1/8 by 1/8 increments 16 pieces $108 sale price

It seems like most are carbon steel, which is ruined by heat, and Forstner bits are particularly prone to heating. I've found the high speed steel bits to stay sharp much longer.

If they don't say otherwise, they're probably carbon steel.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Back in July of last year, Steve mentioned this set. I ordered them and have had really good success with them. Back then they were $108.00. I just clicked the link but could not access it. I went to Peachtree's site and they are now $44.00 for a 16 piece set but are out of stock. I know, $44 for a set makes you wonder what you're getting but if I had to do over again after having used them, I would still pay the $108.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_072815_forstner_set.htm

1/4" to 2 1/8 by 1/8 increments 16 pieces $108 sale price

They do have the 24 piece set in stock for $124.99 which is a pretty good price.

I've never used these bits.

I have a cheaper set of Porter Cable forstner bits that do the job well for me.  I'm far from a pro, but I don't see myself needing anything more in the near future.  I paid around $50 for a 14 piece set, but it looks like they are on Amazon now for $37.99 with Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC1014-Forstner-Bit-14-Piece/dp/B004TSZEB4 

Might be worth looking at.

I ran a Woodcraft Chinese high carbon steel set for a decade.  I became very well versed in touching them up before use.  A diamond file and a cone shaped stone will milk years of use out of this type of set.  Once I got tired of this I went with HSS but, a 1-1/8" bit cost more than the Woodcraft set so, there's your spread.

2 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

I have a cheaper set of Porter Cable forstner bits that do the job well for me.  I'm far from a pro, but I don't see myself needing anything more in the near future.  I paid around $50 for a 14 piece set, but it looks like they are on Amazon now for $37.99 with Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC1014-Forstner-Bit-14-Piece/dp/B004TSZEB4 

Might be worth looking at.

I have the same set. Picked them up from Lowes for $49. Had them about a year and they seem pretty good.

9 hours ago, bob493 said:

"Porter cable or piece meal the stone mountain ones?"

*chirp chirp*

While I only have the Porter Cable, I'll chime in one more time :) For me, I don't drill that many holes with forester bits when wood working, and I don't think I'll ever wear out the PC set.  It's been my experience that when I am using them, I'm usually not sure exactly how big of hole I want to drill before I start the project.  I have noticed that I will take them out to compare and get an idea of what would look the best once I get to the point in the project where I'm laying them out (if it's decorative like the yin/yang wall hanging I just made my daughter).  On a set of serving trays I built, I drilled two holes and then connected the curved lines to make the handle cut outs.  I had no idea what size I wanted till the end panels were cut.  

I say this to say, the PC set, while maybe not "high end" is an affordable way to get quite a few bits that are fair quality and drill nice holes.  Then you have many options when using them.  If you knew exactly what sizes you needed, I'd buy those few sizes in higher quality.   I suppose you could get a set of the PC bits, then if you find yourself using a few of the sizes more often, but those in a higher end bit when the PC ones wear out/dull.